Archor porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diptherunner

Reaction score
Hey all. I really like Anchor Porter and I'd like to brew something similar. Does any have any information on what it might use as a grain bill? It seems to very rich, but lacking in the smoky, or burnt flavors that other porters feature. I'd like to make something easy drinking, dark, but not as smoky and dry as others in the style. Hence the example, Anchor Porter. Any help would be really appreciated. This is going to be a Christmas Day brew with the family I hope.

From Anchor's website, http://www.anchorbrewing.com/beer/anchor_porter:
With deep black color, a thick, creamy head, rich chocolate, toffee and coffee flavors, and full-bodied smoothness, Anchor Porter® is the epitome of a handcrafted dark beer.

A blend of specially roasted pale, caramel, chocolate, and black malts, along with our top-fermenting yeast, creates complexity without bitterness. The brew is hopped at a high rate, and naturally carbonated. The result is dark in the glass, but surprisingly light on the palate.
Malt:
Blend of 2-Row Pale, Caramel, Black & Chocolate

They say they use a 2-row pale malt blend. Using Marris Otter and a 2row pale, or even all MO will give you a good base. You can even add a small amount of Munich malt for added complexity. To get the toffee character, you're probably looking at a crystal 60 or 75. Then chocolate and black patent (black malt). Adjust your ratio of chocolate and black malt depending on if you want to accentuate the chocolate or the coffee and roast flavors. Probably equal parts of each is a good starting point.

Their site says they use Northern Brewer hops. For this beer style, I would estimate they hop to about 35-40 IBUs.

ABV is 5.6%. For this beer, their OG is probably 1.057 - 1.059 and FG 1.014 - 1.016. Good luck, post what you end up brewing and how it compares.

Thanks a bunch! Great research! Here's a draft of your ideas, what do you think?

7 lb marris otter
2 lb 2 row
1 lb crystal 70
8 oz chocolate malt
8 oz dark Munich
2 oz black patent

1 oz of northern brewer at 60min

Wyeast northwest ale

5.4% abv
29 IBU ( maybe a bit low?)

Looks pretty good. For me personally, I would increase the hops with a second addition at 20-30 minutes. Most porters have a BU:GU ratio of 0.70-0.90, I'd stick to that range. Anchor's Porter is a robust porter, so it's probably on the higher side of the ratio. Also, I'm not sure you'll get much coffee flavor with only two ounces of black malt, but that's probably not a bad starting point.

Back