Cam Lock or Quick Connect

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbaucco

Reaction score
Was wondering your opinions on which fittings to use on my hoses. I'm thinking either cam lock or the quick connect air line style fittings. Just looking to get some input. Thanks...

I have cam locks and love them, although the worm clamps on either can give some nasty cuts with wet hands and slippery connections

I've used both types (cam locks and the ball lock style, both stainless) and would suggest going with the cam locks from the start. I'd also suggest going with Oetiker clamps for the connection to hoses, over worm clamps. With the Oetiker clamps, you WON'T get cut hands. I've had enough cuts from worm clamps to hate them with a passion now. You can get the clamps, and crimp tool from Keg Connection. You can also get other crimp tools from Amazon. McMaster-Carr also sells the clamps (wide range of sizes, each covers a small range). You can either use the crimp tool to cut the clamps to remove, or use a pair of tin snips to do the job. I've done both with ease (which I use depends on my mood and which tool I grab first).

I love my cam locks, and I agree with Golddiggie on the Oetiker clamps. I'd check into using 90's like BobbyM shows in his video. I finally took those stupid rings off the cam handles and that makes it alot easier too.

Another vote for camlocks. I suggest using the male threaded ends instead of the hose barbs to prevent restrictions, and/or the 90's as mentioned. And plastic zip ties are another alternative to worm drive hose clamps.

JuanMoore said:
Another vote for camlocks. I suggest using the male threaded ends instead of the hose barbs to prevent restrictions, and/or the 90's as mentioned. And plastic zip ties are another alternative to worm drive hose clamps.

Wow- zip ties - why the heck didn't I think of those! Cheap and easy!

Buying some cam locks from Bobby but have never used them before.

I'm curious what people are using, like, and suggest too. I need to decide and purchase a bunch, but when I start looking, the number of options are a bit overwhelming.

I have camlocks, they can be a little stiff at times but they make nice positive leak free connections. When I think about compressor air line quick disconnects I am reminded of all the hissing that I hear and trouble seating them and am concerned about getting into a leaky situation.

The long hose barbs that Bobby_M sells with the camlocks really don't require a clamp with the typical pressure from a brew pump. I don't use any clamps.

Golddiggie said:
While clamps might not be required for most it is cheap insurance against blowing a hose off a fitting.

Agreed. I doubt my hoses would come off without clamps, but if they did it could be really unpleasant. A few cents and a few minutes of my time is well worth making sure I don't get sprayed with boiling wort.

I use cam locks with the 90s. I ground the threads down smooth and don't use any clamp. No leaks.

Back