Belgian Dark Strong Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delaney

Reaction score
PARTIAL MASH
belgiandarkstrongale.png

Mashed at 152 for 20 minutes
Mashed at 148 from 20 minutes - 75 minutes
Mased to 170F over 15 minutes

Hops Schedule:
-100 grams Tettnang 60 minutes
-100 grams Willamette 25 minutes
-100 grams Hallertau 10 minutes

-Add ~1/3 of the Pale Liquid Extract at beginning of boil
-Add remainder of Pale Liquid Extract at strikeout

I used a starter of 2.4 gallons with 2.36lbs of EDME for Wyeast's Belgian Abbey Ale II.

My wort had an OG reading of 1.104 prior to pitching on starter, which should equate to an OG of 1.092
Aerated wort vigorously for 10 minutes, pitched onto starter at 85F
estimated efficiency at 66%

FG measured at 1.024 @ 66F
ABV:9.3%

I would use a different yeast next time, and lower the ABV. The presence of ethanol was too strong for my tastes.

I wouldn't blame the yeast for the hot alcohol notes. That 85F starting temp seems more suspect regardless of strain used. I would have recommended pitching 20 degrees cooler and let it rise from there. Holding it below 70 for the first 48 hours if you have the means.

I wouldn't blame the yeast for the hot alcohol notes. That 85F starting temp seems more suspect regardless of strain used. I would have recommended pitching 20 degrees cooler and let it rise from there. Holding it below 70 for the first 48 hours if you have the means.

^^^^^^ this. 1762 throws a lot of fusels if fermented too hot. More so than the other yeasts.

Pitching that hot you got a lot of fusels. It is best to pitch low and then slowly let the temp rise. That yeast does best at a much lower temp.

Well now that I have my immersion chiller it will be more feasable :) thanks for the input

With Shanghai summers and downright warm tap water, I use an aquarium pump recirculating iced water through my chiller to finish cooling from the 90s down to the low 60s for pitching. I haven't any means at the moment to maintain it like I did back home. Keeping the room's AC down at 68 helps. Belgian yeasts still rise above 70 on day 2, but I haven't picked up high alcohol notes. English yeast can be kept in control this way without any problem.

Back