Infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanibel14

Reaction score
image-2555603433.jpg

Bottling a Belgian IPA this afternoon. Opened my fermenter and saw this. Looked like the airlock had some sort of mold around it too. Anybody know what this is?

I have had something like that before, it was ok, just made the beer alittle sour.

Agree...would say no all good. Do you secondary in a carboy? I only ask because I had a couple "possible" problems. One cleared right up in secondary...they other was obvious after a few days.
BTW Sanibel is our vacation spot from Naples but one heck of a week of rain in the sunshine state. Good old Mucky Duck.
Cheers

Thanks. Should still be drinkable though?

Looks like lacto bubbles. Lacto will sour your beer. It probably won't taste good.

I make lots of sour beers. Man o man they are good. Maybe you'll get lucky and your beer will taste good as a sour beer, but I'm betting not.

First thing, find yourself a sour beer and see if you like the style at all. If you do, wait it out. If not, might as well dump as soon as you detect sourness.

Grab a Rodenbach Grand Cru or a Duchesse de Borgogne. Good luck.

what passed said... if it is lacto ur likely to have a ruined beer... its a Belgian ipa which means high BU. sour and bitter don't go well together. I had a Belgian ipa go all acetone on me (high ferm temp). I tossed it on cherries and pitched brett on it... its now at a point where im thinking of bottling some of it. all said and done, taste it and then decide.

Back