Finally have a garage, time to move to full boil!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knotquiteawake

Reaction score
We just closed on our first house last week!! Woohoo!
So that means I now have both a garage and also a driveway. This means (much to SWMBO's excitement) I can move my brewing outside and out of the kitchen!
This of course means that now I'm not limited to partial boils but can now not only do a full boil but also all grain too! So many milestones in so little time.

So, leaving the all grain equipment aside, let talk about full boil. Specifically turkey fryers and big pots.

Since we just bought a house and are spending THOUSANDS of things like insulation, gutters, dishwasher, and a fridge my budget is tight.

Where is my best deals to get a heat source and pot for all grain batches? I do have a $50 gift card to AHS but Wanted to save that for things I can't get elsewhere like beer kits of immersion chillers.

I have been drooling over this pot for months: http://spikebrewing.com/collections/15-gallon-stainless-kettles/products/15-gallon-home-brew-kettle-1-coupler . Seems like the best bang for the buck from what I've found.

I spent $30 for a 32 qt aluminum kettle originally at Academy, but outgrew it pretty quickly.

For a burner, you might take a look at a Bayou Classic SP10 or KAB4. The KAB4 is probably the better choice if you ever plan on moving to 10+ gallon batches.

Congrats on the house!

Cheers.

Those are good suggestions. Right now, I'm looking for the cheapest I can use that will still be effective.
Stuff like the http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000291GBQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 Bayou Classic
are ok to use? A little bit cheap but it would keep me in budget and out of the kitchen.
I'm not going to be moving to 10 gallon batches anytime soon so I'm thinking 32 qt might be enough for a 5 gallon full boil?

Last edited by a moderator:
I second that. I just ordered the Bayou Classic burner from Amazon last Thursday and it is supposed to be coming today. Unfortunately I wont be able to brew again until August because I will not be at home. But it seems like it is easily the best deal for your dollar.

it is available through amazon (with prime)...it's temp out of stock right now... i got mine shipped from amazon...just keep checking back.

I see it now. I'm going to order it and wait for it to be in stock.
This works to my advantage as then it won't seem like I ordered a ton of crap all at once thereby keeping SWMBO from getting suspicious.

What about the lid? I don't see one from amazon. Not that it "NEEEEEDS" one but in case you had to let the wort sit for 10-15min while you do something else, or while the chiller is running.

I use the bayou sq14 for my 12 gallon boils in a 15.5 gallon keg and it works great. 50$ for the burner and I got the keg for free.

You don't want much smaller than a 10 gallon (40 qt) pot for full boil 5 gal batches. You can get one on Ebay or Amazon for not much more than $50. I bought a Concord SS 80 qt pot so I can do full boils for 5 and 10 gallon batches.

Ok, Pulled the trigger on the burner (bayou classic) and pot (40qt).

Now.

Chilling.

Who's got the best deal on the wort chillers? I have a $50 giftcard of Austin Homebrew, so I was thinking of buying from them.

I already have a 5 gallon igloo mastun, which I know if undersized for all grain, but I should be able to do a couple light batches before I have to upgrade to 10 gallon. One step at a time. First thing will be a partial mash full boil, then I'll tackle the all grain.

What about the lid? I don't see one from amazon. Not that it "NEEEEEDS" one but in case you had to let the wort sit for 10-15min while you do something else, or while the chiller is running.

I don't have the "official lid" but i use a 16" pizza screen when chilling. provides protection and lets heat escape...

I'm going to hold out for a chiller on CL maybe. I don't need something the size of a keggle though. The DFW area have had a pretty poor/overpriced selection for homebrewing supplies.

you can make a chiller or buy one on ebay/amazon.. a 3/8" x 25' $50ish shipped and a 50' is $80ish shipped.

Go to the hardware store and get yourself some copper tubing. Wrap it around a paint can or keg to form it. Then just clamp on some hose and you're good to go. Very inexpensive compared to buying something, works great, and anyone can do it.

Latest posts

Back