The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well at least Alonso is "The Honey Badger." Pfft, the Alonso doesn't care if he wasn't on the Bext XI... the Alonso doesn't give a s**t.

What Seattle really needs is for Montero to play his best from day one instead of needing to be benched for a couple months to motivate him (see: the last two seasons)

Agreed. He seems to be Reggie Jackson though, comes through later on in the season. I think they may make him captain next year. For Freddy a lot of it is between the ears. While our season ended too soon, it's on again pretty quickly as they have CCL games before the MLS season starts. I hope they find the missing pieces and continue moving ahead. I mean, they've got to be good next season as I have a lot of beer to drink while watching.

Should be a great game tonight. Get some work I need to do this afternoon and then watch the game in the pm. We'll have some chicken, garlic and pepper sausages and a glass or two of our Short Nights IPA while we watch.

Good choices. We're going ball park style with 1/2lb. beef dogs and chili cheese nachos, washed down with punkin ale. But with jalapeno poppers and stella for appetizers.

Disgusting, yet appropriate

Still extra stoked LA won the double this season! Hopefully they'll keep it rolling and do well in Champions League play.

Also, here's some new kit news.

Seattle Sounders new 3rd kit: "Super Cyan"
Sounders312intro.jpg

I dig it.... and I'm glad there are no duct-tape bra straps on this one. It's got a nice, classic template and still really stands out. Nice replacement for the Electric Yellow.

Philly's new primary and secondary kits
new_kits2.jpg

Okay, I reeeeaaaally like these. Not only did they make some serious improvements on an already stellar kit (they got rid of the horizontal piping so the bar goes all the way to the collar) they got rid of the khaki secondary kit and added "Sons of Ben blue" like they've been begging for. Well done.

USMNT new primary kit
USA12final.jpg

This one might still be just a rumor (a really well-done rumor) but I believe there is something to this one. Personally, I really like it. It keeps with the kit theme and has a faded sash across the front and the stripes are patriotic and classic soccer style.

Here's a list of who is going to get new kits and a couple of known release dates. I left off Vancouver getting a 3rd because that's still just a very faint rumor.

Dallas - New Home / Away
LA - Home
RBNY - Home
Chivas - Home
DCU - Home/Away (11/28)
Portland - 3rd - (12/6)
Sounders - 3rd (Revealed)
Phila - Home/Away (Revealed)
Chicago - Home/Away
Montreal - Home/Away (12/1)
Columbus - Home/Away (12/3)
New England - Home/Away (12/3)
RSL - Home/Away???
San Jose - Home/Away

Anybody else watching the MLS SuperDraft right now?

EDIT: Also, has anybody been keeping track of Landon Donovan at Everton? Not bad, considering he hadn't been training for a month or so. He even picked up an assist. And Robbie Keane got a two month loan to Aston Villa. This Saturday will have loaned-out Galaxy teammates face each other.... awesome.

Landon got an assist today, but that should be his first. The other two Everton games were 1-0 (Baines pen) and 0-2. Robbie got to play a few minutes, too.

Oh nice. I was wondering how he did today... I couldn't find a damn stream anywhere.

Also worth noting: go to the Ross or Marshalls in your town. I found three 2011 LA Galaxy jerseys at Ross for $20 each... it even said on the tag "Savings of $70"... my Jewish mother would be extra proud if she gave a rats ass about professional sports :D There were also Chivas USA, NYRB, CD Chivas de Guadalajara and a couple other randoms. I highly recommend checking it out.

Glad that my Timbers kicked Kenny Cooper to the curb. Dude spent more time on the ground than he did on his feet. Now New York fans are going to have to get used to hearing "And Kenny Cooper fell down on the play."

Dempsey got another hat-trick today, this time against a top-flight EPL team! Reno's boy Robbie Kean picked up two as well.

Glad that my Timbers kicked Kenny Cooper to the curb. Dude spent more time on the ground than he did on his feet. Now New York fans are going to have to get used to hearing "And Kenny Cooper fell down on the play."

Well, the tactic of "Kenny, go get fouled, and we'll let a defender knock home the kick" worked for a while. Too bad Timbers couldn't get Agudelo in trade. :D

Yeah Robbie! Those were some serious strikes.

Also congrats to Dempsey for being the first American to net a hat trick in the EPL.

Other huge news:

- USWNT stomped Dominican Republic 14-0. Morgan and Wambach got hat tricks while Rodriguez knocked in 5 to tie the record for most consecutive goals (yup, she scored 5 in a row.) It came with a price though.... Krieger has a torn ACL and MCL and will probably miss the Olympics.

- USMNT dominated the entire match against Venezuela even when dealing with a terrible ref and a team that plays dirty-ass south american ball... but Clark finally nailed one at the very end of long stoppage (due to Ven bitching at the ref for 5 minutes.... like the entire team)

C'mon Gunners! Get it back!

The English commentator said that Arshavin 'wasn't determined enough' . . . I'm just waiting for him to refer to a lack of quality now ;)

Has anybody seen the new LA Galaxy primaries? I honestly can't say enough good things about this kit... it's so f**king slick!
watermarked_thumbnail.aspx

Also, Pappers, how do you feel about your clubs new kits? I like them, especially the Chicago flag stars on the secondaries piping... and it should definitely help to have that new sponsor money.
tumblr_ly03goCMhF1qla05oo1_500.jpg

Also, Portland's new retro thirds are perfect for them! It's nice of them to include the secondary "supporter" crest
yhst-128935258516932_2194_2664440.jpeg

Reno_eNVy said:
Also, Pappers, how do you feel about your clubs new kits? I like them, especially the Chicago flag stars on the secondaries piping... and it should definitely help to have that new sponsor money.

Better sponsor than Best Buy. I like the kits, I think, will like to see it in action.

Timbers have been picking up some great players, I can't wait for the season to start and see our new line up in action.

Seriously. Kris Boyd as their new DP? Daaaaaaaaang. Kenny Cooper who?

I see a lot of singing and dancing in my future. POORRTLANND TIMBERRRS, WE ADORE YOU.... :ban::ban::ban::ban::tank::ban::ban::ban::tank:

Woooooooooow..... Philadelphia trade Le Toux to Vancouver for allocation money. That better be an a$$-ton of money to give up the heart and soul of your club.

Not only that but they lost Mondragon. What the hell is their front office doing?

No. That's Crew territory.

It's better than this hot mess (their new secondary):
6420748445_f9051cbaf5_b.jpg

That kit could have been one of the best in the league if the stripes just went all the way down. It's like the shirt printer ran out of ink :D

No season tickets, just going to as many single games as I can. Hopefully I'll be able to catch at least 4-5. If you have seats, we should try and meet up when I go.

The wife and I have season tickets in the TA section, so no set seat just we ever we feel like dancing at the North end.

"Philadelphia trade Le Toux to Vancouver for allocation money"

I don't know what it is about Le Toux that coaches and front offices seem to dislike. The fans love the guy. Here in Seattle it's still known as the "mistake" ( not protecting him). But here he is again after two productive seasons, gone from a team who isn't going to get better by the transaction.

The guy just works hard from start to finish. He may not be the most skilled forward, but his work rate and results (25 goals,13 assists in two seasons) certainly aren't bad.

I think Le toux is just one of those guys that front offices don't think will be productive.

The wife and I have season tickets in the TA section, so no set seat just we ever we feel like dancing at the North end.

Nice! I have a friend who is a season ticket holder. He's going to grab me tickets for Section 118 when they go on early online sale. Planning on going to games against Real Salt Lake, Vancouver, Seattle and LA.

Le Toux will hopefully give Vancouver more of an edge this year. They didn't seem to have much last year.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new Sounders in action soon. Sounds like they've had a great start in the preseason.

Anyone going to the free game on the 29th at Century Link?

Dang... that's a problem.

And I have to say the weaker clubs are starting to looking dangerous as rosters lock-in...

Back