5 Gallon Batch - Do You Upsize for Loss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultravista

Reaction score
When building a 5 gallon recipe (or 10 gallon), do you upsize the target size to account for loss?

Do you target 5.25 gallons as the batch size to get somewhere near 5 gallons in the fermenter?

I've been sizing my recipes for 5.25 gallons and typically use a 1500 to 1800 ML starter.

I am curious what others are doing.

When puchasing kits, the batch is always 5 gallons, no more. This means less into the fermenter due to loss.

What do you do?

I do 6 gallon batches and fill a keg and a few bottles, depending on how much loss happens from hops/trub. When I want two kegs I do 11 gallons.

I target 5 to 5.25 gallons going into the fermentor, and use Beersmith to calculate my boil volume accordingly. This usually gives me 4.75 to 5 gallons going into the keg.

If I am going to secondary, I make 5.5 gallon batches (I tend to lose half a gallon to trub). If I'm not going to secondary, I don't bother.

If you want a 5.5 gallon batch, just add a little bit of DME. Or just work on getting excellent efficiency.

5.5. You have 5.5 gallons of beer when all is said and done, but half a gallon of it is dormant yeast, proteins, spent hops, etc that you don't want in your keg/carboy.

I target 5.5 using my brewing calculator. I'll end up with 5.5 going into the fermenter, and come away with ~5 gallons of clean beer in the keg.

I do the same as the above. I expect to lose at least two quarts to trub, hops, etc. and upscale to accommodate.

I successfully use the Jamil method of designing a recipe to 6 gallons, leaving 0.5 in the kettle and 0.5 in the fermentor to transfer clear beer to keg.

I successfully use the Jamil method of designing a recipe to 6 gallons, leaving 0.5 in the kettle and 0.5 in the fermentor to transfer clear beer to keg.

I do the exact same thing, except target 5.5 gallons. Which makes it different, actually.

7.5-8 gallon boils = (for me) 6.75 gallons at the end of the boil which = 5.75-6 gallons in the fermenter which = 5 gallons in the keg.

These volumes allow for pretty clear beer since I lose a lot of the hot/cold break and yeast etc. The fact that I am a hop head so there is a ton of hops sludge and dry hop material is associated to these figures!

I'm brewing a double IPA saturday. Hopville . "Pliny style (2011-12-06 version)" Imperial IPA Recipe

due to the large amount of hops, I will do an 8 gallon boil, leaving me with about 6.5 afterwards. I will cool this wort. Then when I remove the hop bag, i expect to lose about .5 gallons of wort. I will leave .5 in the kettle and siphon approximately 5.5 gal to the bucket and then 5 to the keg.

I am using an 80qt stockpot that is about 19" diameter and 16" tall, so I have a higher evaporation rate as well as higher trub loss due to my larger surface area. 1 gallon is like 1cm high in my pot :(.

I've never used the pot before, so this weekend will allow me to get a grip on my numbers.

I often make just 5 (or whatever the recipe calls for, if I'm using a recipe), but ultimately... whatever I want.

I mean, 5 gallons is really just an arbitrary amount anyways. I guess I don't see the "need" to end up with exactly that much. It's easiest for me to just use the calibrated sight gauge on my Blichmann kettle to end up with a post-boil volume of *exactly* 5 gallons in order to maintain precision and accuracy, so that's what I go by. When it comes time to bottle, I just bottle as much as I can... the beer isn't going to be changed by altering that particular volume on the fly.

I guess if you're kegging, I can see the point in shooting for 5 gallons out of the fermentor. But if you're bottling, and going to the trouble of scaling a recipe, why not design it to end up with 5.5 or 6 (or whatever) gallons? It makes just as much sense as 5 for most bottlers... chances are your system can probably accommodate at least another half-gallon or gallon, and it means more beer for the same amount of work!

Brewing software should have fields for pre, post, pitching, and finished volumes.

I keg and prefer to have as much as possible. My last batch, a Rogue Shakespeare Stout, a 5 gallon batch (BYO recipe) is about 4.5 to 4.75 gallons now. It's a shame :(

Back