Home Depot Sellin' 10 gal coolers for $40

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JefeTheVol

Reaction score
I was at home depot yesterday picking up some brewing tools(stainer bags and tubing) and I came across this...

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202260809/h_d2/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&keyword=10+gallon+rubbermaid+cooler&jspStoreDir=hdus&Nu=P_PARENT_ID&navFlow=3&catalogId=10053&langId=-1&ddkey=Search

Anyway...I think its one of the cheapest 10 gal coolers out there.

All for 40 bucks. I checked amazon and some of the 10 gals go for 70 bones!!! As long as you dont mind a big orange cooler that says "Home Depot" on it. Hell, I went to college in Knoxville, I can deal with electric, parking cone orange.

Anyone in the mood to convert to all grain??? Cause I just might hafta!

I did a quick search and didnt see anyone mention these coolers in a couple of years. So sorry if everyone already knows this.
-jefe-

Thinks for the heads up! I've been looking for something that size in that price range. Never thought to check out home depot for it.

Print that page and take it to customer service at lowes for an extra 10% off if you don't mind the same cooler in red.

I got a 12 gallon cooler for 19.99 at dicks sporting goods. Just wait for a sale. id say 40 bucks was expensive for a 10 gallon cooler

I was at home depot yesterday picking up some brewing tools(stainer bags and tubing) and I came across this...

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202260809/h_d2/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&keyword=10+gallon+rubbermaid+cooler&jspStoreDir=hdus&Nu=P_PARENT_ID&navFlow=3&catalogId=10053&langId=-1&ddkey=Search

Anyway...I think its one of the cheapest 10 gal coolers out there.

All for 40 bucks. I checked amazon and some of the 10 gals go for 70 bones!!! As long as you dont mind a big orange cooler that says "Home Depot" on it. Hell, I went to college in Knoxville, I can deal with electric, parking cone orange.

Anyone in the mood to convert to all grain??? Cause I just might hafta!

I did a quick search and didnt see anyone mention these coolers in a couple of years. So sorry if everyone already knows this.
-jefe-

Walmart has a great one 17.5 Gallons for under $40.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-70-Quart-Xtreme-Cooler/4807332?findingMethod=rr

I own this one and it retains heat very very well

EDIT: Ace_Club beat me to it above!

C'mon guys. The OP was probably referring to the cooler being fairly priced compared to other 10 gallon water coolers. I haven't searched recently but $40 seems to be a decent price.

C'mon guys. The OP was probably referring to the cooler being fairly priced compared to other 10 gallon water coolers. I haven't searched recently but $40 seems to be a decent price.

That's true, and $40 tends to be one of the lowest price points for a new "Gatorade" style cooler. However, we are just offering comparisons to other styles of mash tuns.

I made my mash tun out of that same cooler and it was on sale for 29 when I picked it up. It's ok it warped a little on the inside and is not the best at keeping warm loses about 3 degrees. But all in all pretty good for what I paid for it.

for me, its all about counter space in my little townhouse. for the "Gatorade" style 10 gallon drink coolers, $40 is a steal compared to spending that same amount for a 5 gallon just about anywhere else.

I have the hd orange cooler and also lose another 3 degrees doing mashes for 5 gallon batches. I insulated the top with great stuff and cover it up with blankets during the mash. I open it up every 15 minutes to stir and check temperature (opening is probably causing some of the heat loss).

Overall I really like this as a mash tun. Pickup a false bottom an a cooler valve kit and you are in business.

I do 10 gallon batches, and I routinely do 8% beers with the 10 gallon home depot mash tun. You have to take your time, but i've done as much as 35 lbs of grain. let the grain soak up the water, and do it slow, and you have no problem mashing that much grain. The good thing about the round coolers when they are filled with at least 20lbs of grain they do not lose heat, I mash in overnight, and I lose about 5 degrees in a 12 hour period. It's great for saving time.
I also use a bbq thermo with the wire on it. I just throw it in the Tun, and keep the digital part on top of the lid. The lid will screw on and keep the heat in.
Another good thing is the grain bed can't be beat unless it's a 15 gallon keg MT. The circular coolers give a great 12-16 inch grain bed, and using the stainless steel braid, there are no dead spots, or grains getting through like you might get with a false bottom. I've mashed 10lb wheat beers using 14lbs of wheat, and a lb of rice hulls, and got a fantastic drain from the tun.

Back