SE Mass - 60 Gal.: Turbid Mash Lambic Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not if I toss a small hog in the ground.

not gonna bother if it is just 6 or 7 of us. 6 or 7 of us then yeah, I totally agree, big fat steaks all around.

i think we're gonna have more than that though.

clam bake would be sick too but I'm too cheap to be buyin' a huge pile of lobsters. We could make Paul go diving for some again but that would require him to get into a wetsuit again and I don't think we want to subject our oceans to that sight when we have the catastrophic oil spill already going on. Let the ocean deal with one horrifying sight at a time.

TRUTH

I got a feeling people will be in and out during the day but by the time supper rolls around methinks it will be a core group of the brewers and not many more.

Your dryer plug is a 4 prong correct?
Like the one on the right?

93149-main_Full.jpg

DUDE!
My rotisserie is at the side door of my house.
UPS production ALWAYS goes up on holiday weekends.
I've NEVER had a package dropped of this early in the day by UPS
EVER :rockin:

Pork roast has been marinating
It will be crushed
LIKE A BOSS

Bird, I'm pretty sure this trainwreck will be on the web like last time.
We'll try to get a boil over or three in your honor :p

That three prong isnt safe, new codes changed it to 4 prong (serious)

All new dryers and accompanying circuits are now 4 prong.
We should change that out next week :)

Bugs, we need some bugs.

Wyeast pissed me off telling me that we should just buy 12 packs................eat it.
One, this beer aint gonna need no 12 packs and 2 it would be better for them to culture us up a nice big jug and send it East.

Are we gonna rinse this barrel with Chardonney or what?

Gonna suck that I cant bring the electric kettle.

We need a spare burner for the turbid mash, CB do you have one?

My thoughts.

Give it 6 of these to start:

Wyeast 3278 Lambic blend
A blend of Belgian style wheat beer yeast, sherry yeast, two Brettanomyces strains and lactic acid bacteria for producing lambic-style ale.
Contains a selection of Saccharomyces cerevisiae which include Belgian style wheat beer yeast, sherry yeast, two Brettanomyces strains and Lactic Acid Bacteria. While this mixture does not include all possible cultures found in Belgian Lambics, it is representative of the organisms which are most important for the desirable flavor components of these beer styles. Individual components available from this blend are numbered below. Apparent attenuation: 65-75%. Flocculation: low–medium. Optimum temp: 63°-75° F

Then after a few months add in a few of these

Wyeast 5112 Brettanomyces Bruxellensis
Wild yeast isolated from cultures in the Brussels region. Classic sweaty horse hair character for gueuze, lambics, and sour browns.
Wild yeast isolated from brewery cultures in the Brussels region of Belgium. Produces the classic sweaty horse hair character indigenous to beers of this region; gueuze, lambics, sour browns. Ferments best in worts with lower pH after primary fermentation has begun. This strain is generally used in conjunction with S. Cerevisiae as well as other wild yeast and lactic bacteria. Produces some acidity and may form a pellicle in bottles or casks. Generally requires 3-6 months aging for flavor to fully develop. Apparent attenuation: Flocculation: medium. Optimum temp: 60°-75° F

Thoughts?
Anecdotes?
Anybody holding?

Slow down big man. Take a deep breath.

Here are our to-do's
1) get the grain: Being delivered, hopefully, Tuesday, via North Country
2) get the hops: Still an outstanding to-do. I gotta call North Country today to see about final invoice and delivery date so I'll ask about the hops (I tanked and forgot to ask)... unless there's another option.
3) get the buggies: 6 packs of Lambic Blend. I'm not worried about it. I'll swing through Mod Brew and see what they have in stock and then we'll order the rest of what we need through Steve. We don't have to worry about the bret for a while.
4) Figure out burners: We can gerri-rig something. I have an extra burner but it is suspect at best. Worst case scenario we use the burner for my HLT since I won't be using it. I'm not even THINKING about trying to circ this biatch through my HERMS system so that burner will just be sitting there. OR... there's always my stove in the house. We're not boiling huge volumes... just maintaining temp. I have a large SS pot we can use in the house if push really comes to shove.
5) Make food: Doesn't look like we're going to have a huge crowd. I'll plan on some sort of breakfast stuff for the brewers. For lunch, we can toss burgers and some wings and shiit on the grill. Dinner... I'm with you, big phat steaks or something.
6) RDWHAHB
7) We gotta get the Consecretion bottled... STAT. I'm washing and santitizing all of the bottles I have today but everyone else that has a share of that barrel needs to get on the ball and figure out what they're doing with their share.
8) Rinsing the barrel with Chard?? I don't care. If you want to do that great but I don't see the benefit . It ain't doin anything to the bugs and I don't see it "sanitizing" in any way. Nor do I see it removing any of the old tastes in that barrel any more than warm water would. I think it would be a waste of a couple bucks but if you think it'll help for some reason, I'm not opposed.
9) make fun of Paul's chubbyness: done and will be done early and often on the 12th
10) get pool ready in case it is a hot day and anyone wants to jump in: will be done before end of day. Needs one more vacuum and it's ready

1: Check
2: Paul said he had some old hops. I have some Styrian Goldings left over from the club group brew, about 8 oz @ 2% AA or so
3: Steve SHOULD be able to source 6 of the Lambic Blend SHOULD. The Brett is a seasonal thing so if we want to go with a few of those as Summer turns to Fall to help with complexity of this beer we'd need to get them STAT
4: Your stovetop would be perfect for the turbid portion
5: Pot luck for food for lunch. I can bring a dutch oven of baked beans. Trip to New Beige as time gets closer....head count on steaks will be needed
6: Check-a-mundo
7: I'm staying out of this
8: The Chard should soak in a little and lend something
9: Glass houses, I live in one
10: MEH, water guns

I need 20 amps at 240 volts

uggg. I'm only putting out 14 amps with that generator. Now that I think of it I think we've had this conversation. I need to lay off the sauce.

My genset will do it

One: Its friggin LOUD

B: Its friggin loud AND I would need to make up a cord for an adapter as the plug configuration isnt the same

I just got the fitting I need to make my old burner work on a propane tank, $3 and done

Water?
Campden tablets.........................?
You have a kiddie pool you could fill with water?

7) We gotta get the Consecretion bottled... STAT. I'm washing and santitizing all of the bottles I have today but everyone else that has a share of that barrel needs to get on the ball and figure out what they're doing with their share.

How many gallons is each share? I've gotta hunt down some bottles. I've got a combination of normal Belgian 750's, some European Champagne bottles like the Lindemans bottles and some American Champagne bottles. Will either of these champagne bottles work or should I go out and buy some of the regular Belgian cork and cage bottles?

1) get the grain: Being delivered, hopefully, Tuesday, via North Country
You got it covered.

2) get the hops: Still an outstanding to-do. I gotta call North Country today to see about final invoice and delivery date so I'll ask about the hops (I tanked and forgot to ask)... unless there's another option.
I have some hops from the '09 club group brew in the freezer. I don't remember what they were, so I was gonna make a Mystery Hop IPA. But if you know what they are, and want to use them, I'll bring 'em with me. Otherwise, my next batch will be an IPA.

3) get the buggies: 6 packs of Lambic Blend. I'm not worried about it. I'll swing through Mod Brew and see what they have in stock and then we'll order the rest of what we need through Steve. We don't have to worry about the bret for a while.
You got it covered.

4) Figure out burners: We can gerri-rig something. I have an extra burner but it is suspect at best. Worst case scenario we use the burner for my HLT since I won't be using it. I'm not even THINKING about trying to circ this biatch through my HERMS system so that burner will just be sitting there. OR... there's always my stove in the house. We're not boiling huge volumes... just maintaining temp. I have a large SS pot we can use in the house if push really comes to shove.
You got it covered.

5) Make food: Doesn't look like we're going to have a huge crowd. I'll plan on some sort of breakfast stuff for the brewers. For lunch, we can toss burgers and some wings and shiit on the grill. Dinner... I'm with you, big phat steaks or something.
You got it covered.

6) RDWHAHB
I have that covered.:mug:

I'll come help bottle... for a six pack.:drunk:

8) Rinsing the barrel with Chard?? I don't care. If you want to do that great but I don't see the benefit . It ain't doin anything to the bugs and I don't see it "sanitizing" in any way. Nor do I see it removing any of the old tastes in that barrel any more than warm water would. I think it would be a waste of a couple bucks but if you think it'll help for some reason, I'm not opposed.
Whatever.

9) make fun of Paul's chubbyness: done and will be done early and often on the 12th
I'll be laughing.

10) get pool ready in case it is a hot day and anyone wants to jump in: will be done before end of day. Needs one more vacuum and it's ready
PTN, wear something other than your speedo.

Babalu,
Why are you so facinated with the idea of washing out the barrel with some chard? I don't get it. Seems to me we're going to have a fair amount of schmutz on the bottom of the barrel from the currents and I expect that its going to take a fair amount of work with a garden hose to get all of that detrius out of there. What do you think that a few hours (or days) of contact with a couple of gallons of cheap chardonney is going to do?

PTN

Babalu,
Why are you so facinated with the idea of washing out the barrel with some chard? I don't get it. Seems to me we're going to have a fair amount of schmutz on the bottom of the barrel from the currents and I expect that its going to take a fair amount of work with a garden hose to get all of that detrius out of there. What do you think that a few hours (or days) of contact with a couple of gallons of cheap chardonney is going to do?

PTN

It sounds cool?

I dont know if it will do much of anything to be completely honest.

We DO have to get all that Schmatz out of the barrel though.

Well at least you're honest! It takes months for wine to pick up the flavor of oak, and the older the barrel the longer it takes. And the reason Catherine Valley gave us this barrel is cause it's so old that it wasn't worth storing wine in it. (the barrel didn't have anything to add to the wine in the year Don would keep the wine in the barrel). Remember, a winery doesn't want go keep the wine in the barrel for any longer than need be, they want the wine in a bottle and sold out the door.
We'll get more oak flavor and charector out of this barrel then the winery would but that is because the Brett is munching in the cellulose in the wood. In any case, a week won't do squat to a few gallons of chard in a 60 gallon barrel except turn it into vinegar, a suboptimal outcome.

Not to mention putting a white wine in a red barrel gives you brown wine. Again, suboptimal

PTN

So since you two are all caught up in the romanticism of a turbid mash have you actually sat down and drawn up a mash schedule yet? Just asking cause I offered to do it a month ago and someone (No names but his initials are Cape Brewing) whined that he didn't need me to draw up the recipie. At this rate we're going to show up at DBags house Saturday morning at 5 and stand around till 11 figuring out how much water we need to use to get x number of gallons of "Super Special Turbid Mash Runoff."

I figure on starting to drink hard around 5:15 AM.

PTN

The overall schedule is the one right out of WildBrews. It's a book. It's a book about brewing with yeast and really focusing in on lambics and guezes. Not sure if you've heard of it. You should pick up a copy if you get a chance.

We should figure out when we actually want to start. I think we're looking at probably an 8 hour day (yes, I'm being optimistic).

I'm gonna load up the Contraption with probably 70-80 gallons and bring them up to temp Friday night. Then, bright and early Saturday, I'll kick the burners back on and bring them back up to near-a-boil.

Once everyone shows, they can just pull off that boiling water, heat it for ten minutes for any heat loss in transfer and then we're good to go. So, with a four hour boil, that gives us another four hours for mashing with pre-heated water.

I think we can do it.

I'm not opposed to having guys show at 5:00 AM but I don't think we're going to need to do that.

The other reality is that Babalu and family are probably going to be there really late so... really... we don't even need everyone to hang out for the entire four hour boil.

I can boil the entire 60+ gallons on the Contraption so as long as we mash and get the old barrel emptied, Babalu and I can rack the lambic... again... if we end up running a lot later than we thought.

So... with all of that said, what time do we want to start? I would vote for 7:30-8:00

Your rig being capable of brewing the whole thing is TREMENDOUS and I vote for it with GREAT VIGOR.

I still gotta figure out picking up the family but even with a four hour mash I can bail at around 1PM to go get the family/camper and then drink.... Westy clone will be in full effect.

I'll put the mash schedule/recipe on ProMash and then put a text file here tonight.

EDIT

Keep PTN away from the scale.

whoa whoa... never said my rig could brew the whole thing.

what I said was I could boil the whole thing. Once I'm done using my HLT, we could (if we really had to) dump the run-off wort into that and double fire my HLT and BK... ya figure that's 80+ gallons of space.

I sure as hell ain't mashing 140 lbs of a turbid mash on my rig.

Thank you, Babalu. Its nice to plan a brew with someone who understands that there is actually a little bit of planning involved. You know, "we need X pounds of grain to get Y gallons of wort with a gravity of 1.0XX, so we need to mash in with Q gallons of water, and then boil for Z hours for a final gravity of K." Your little buddy doesn't get that.

PTN

The overall schedule is the one right out of WildBrews. It's a book. It's a book about brewing with yeast and really focusing in on lambics and guezes. Not sure if you've heard of it. You should pick up a copy if you get a chance.

I had a copy of that once. Loaned it to some DBag. Don't think I ever got it back.

Who was that jerk, I know you are all asking? Only the Shadow knows.

PTN

Thank you, Babalu. Its nice to plan a brew with someone who understands that there is actually a little bit of planning involved. You know, "we need X pounds of grain to get Y gallons of wort with a gravity of 1.0XX, so we need to mash in with Q gallons of water, and then boil for Z hours for a final gravity of K." Your little buddy doesn't get that.

PTN

I do get it ya freakin' tool. All of the water infusions are at a boil and the entire mash schedule is laid out in percentages.

We don't know how many gallons each of us is doing yet so what is there to calculate?

There are TWO effin grains... I'm guessing we... whoa... hold it... I'm guessing I can do some pretty easy math between now and then.

And I did the math already ont he total grain bill... 80 lbs pils and 55 lbs of wheat. 1060ish. I ran it before I ordered the grain

Gotcha Babalu... yeah, I think it'll be a nice option in case guys want to take off or we run late.

WHHHHHHHATTTTTTT TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME should we start??

7:30 AM
If strike water is ready we can be rolling by 8 AM EASY
Few minutes to unpack and get rolling.

How many brewers again 6?
Gonna just use a keggle as a mash tun, I can go direct heat that way.

The other thing that is mentioned is a colander to get the turbid portion.............cant one just get the turbid portion by opening the drain on their mash tun? Unless its going to be silly sticky at that point?

cant one just get the turbid portion by opening the drain on their mash tun? Unless its going to be silly sticky at that point?

I am REALLY hesitant to go that route. That has "stuck mash in .005 miliseconds" written all over it... even with all of the rice hulls.

55 lb sack of rice hulls comin'.... that's a SHIIIIIIIITLOAD of rice hulls.

uhhhh... me, Babalu, Colby, PTN, Drinkswell and Slots... yeah, six. Would have been 7 but F-dub's going for a three-hour tour on the fail boat.

Back