Unidentified black bugs on hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nostrildamus

Reaction score
I have some unidentified black bugs on my hops. They are six legged with a long abdomen. I'm not sure if they are hurting the hops and they seem to be up high on the leaves rather than at the bottom of the bine like Spider mites. They certainly don't look like any aphid or mite that I've been able to find online. I've also noticed that I have a really good population of Ladybugs on my bines which would indicate they are feasting on something which is both good and bad.

Any ideas what these are?

No help here, I have no clue. You are doing the right thing though if there is no visible damage yet. They could be helping you, as you already suspect.

Pointless post really, I'm just keeping it near the top so that someone who actually knows can chime in. :)

No help here, I have no clue. You are doing the right thing though if there is no visible damage yet. They could be helping you, as you already suspect.

Pointless post really, I'm just keeping it near the top so that someone who actually knows can chime in. :)

I dunno!!! Just helping Laughing Gnome keep it alive, cause I wanna know too!!

Well, I have definitely seen some spider mites on there and these mystery bugs are about twice the size. I'm going to spray my foliage down and treat it naturally and hopefully the mites and "others" won't do any long term damage.

It's virtually impossible to ID an insect without pics. Now, that being said, the ladybugs are there for a reason & that is most likely food. Ladybugs love to eat aphids. Some aphids are purple, sometimes it's such a deep color of purple they look black. Regards, GF.

Awesome....I was wondering the same thing about the same bug. They are reproducing nicely on my plants

They eat more than their parents, so treat them well and they'll keep coming back. Once you get cones, though, you may want to spray if you still have aphids, because they'll hide in the cones where ladybugs can't fit and they'll do real damage to your harvest. The sap they secrete will cause mold.

Here's what they look like:

beetle15.jpg

Back