Fruit Beer - Wanna be Lambic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monk

Reaction score
Well, I'm about to make a small experimental batch inspired by the lambic framboise beers I've always liked. My dad--a Greek dude who likes sweet wine and ouzo, mostly--loves the framboise, so I want to homebrew something he'll actually like. The difference is this: I'm not truly making a lambic...no bacteria for souring. I'm basically going to make a very fruity, part barley malt, part wheat concoction. The idea is to imitate the ingredients of a lambic framboise, but skip the bacteria and the 2 year fermentation/conditioning. So I assume what I'll end up with is a much less complex, raspberry hef. Right?

Has anyone tried this? I feel a little sheepish for skipping the hard parts of the lambic brewing...but I need this to be ready in the next few months and don't have seperate equipment for lambic brewing. Here's a working recipe:

for 2.25 gallons:

1.4 lbs. pale LME
1.4 lbs. wheat LME
.25 oz old stale Hallertau (3.7% AA)
2 cans oregon red raspberry
US 56 dry yeast

IBU 8.1
OG 1.042 (not counting the fruit)
ABV 7%

The recipe is based on the lambic article in BYO, but like I said, omiting the lambic bacteria. Any thoughts?

Especially...any way to lower the ABV without skimping on the fruit or ME? I can't think of one. I don't want to use the bottled "flavor".

Well, I've been looking into this more and I'm considering lowering the IBUs even more (to around 5) and maybe decreasing the amount of LME. My only concern is that I'll end up with more of a raspberry wine than a beer. Anybody know of a good ratio of malt/fruit for a fruit lambic?

I'm really interested in this as well, did you ever brew it? At $120 a case the real stuff is very unaffordable.

Back