St. Peter's Cream Stout recipe--Orfy??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete08

Reaction score
Orfy, or anyone else in the know, have you had a St. Peter's Cream Stout? This stout is awesome!!:rockin:I am enjoying one right now and have decided it will be my second AG brew, provided I get a recipe. I say Orfy because it is from the U.K:D

"Fuggles and Challenger hops combine with a blend of four different barley malts to create an aromatic, robust, dark chocolate cream stout with satisfying bittersweet aftertaste. Gold Medal winner in the International Beer Competition/Challenge in 2003, 2004, and 2006." This is taken straight from the label.

BTW, in a month or so I plan to do my first AG, the Goblin! Provided, of course, I like the sample pint I bought alongside the St. Peter's Cream Stout. Orfy's recipe just about has me sold on it.

I'd never even heard of this beer until I read this thread. Having checked it out on their website, it looks awesome - I'll see if I can track down a bottle of it, and if I do I'll post any thoughts back here.

Thanks for the heads up :mug:

Hm. I'd never gone to look at their website before. Danek, want a roommate? I'm *so* moving over there to be closer to the brewery.

Anywho, business. I've had the Cream Stout before but I can't remember a bit of what it tastes like, it's easily been a year since I've had it. If I make it out and about this afternoon, I'll try to find a bottle. We get St. Peters stuff here and there, but definitely not a "full selection" by any means. I might venture out south to see if The Still has it.

St Peter's, Cream Stout (England)
This dark brown beer is made with Fuggles and Challenger hops, plus a blend of four barley malts from around St Peter's brewery in Suffolk. It pours with a minimal light brown head that dissipates almost immediately. The nose is thick with burnt toast, espresso and bitter chocolate notes. On the palate, it has dramatic bitterness, like burnt espresso beans and a chicory bite. The mouthfeel is surprisingly light, with a hint of plum fruit, but a fairly low hop presence and a finish that doesn't quite power through. A tasty beer that just misses out in terms of texture and ultimate complexity. 6.5% ABV, 50cl, 12 X £29.50, brewery website.

I have drunk much of this beer - very very nice!:) I am afraid I know nothing of the recipe though. Maybe you could try emailing the brewery? Another US member emailed the Caledonian brewery recently about Deuchars IPA and got pretty much a full recipe back! I think a UK based member might struggle, but if you're in the US as you're not local and are unlikely to attempt to "steal the market", you might find better success. :)

This beer is excellent I tried it years ago, the price is a bit steep but the beer is great. I actually found an extract clone and made it years ago before I went AG, it couldn't of been that great because I don't remember it.

I don't know if they will bite, but I emailed them about the recipe, or at least the malts involved.

Be interesting to see their response. :) Please share with us if you get any info though. :D

Gladly. I hope to at least get the malts, as they have shared about the hops. I will need someone more experienced to help with the recipe.

I'll keep an eye on it.
I've had a bottle of the organic ale.

Should be able to have a reasonable pop at the recipe if I sample it and do a little research.

I'll keep an eye on it.
I've had a bottle of the organic ale.

Should be able to have a reasonable pop at the recipe if I sample it and do a little research.

Many thanks! I sure hope a recipe can be hatched!

Goddamn it! I cannot find this beer anywhere. :mad:

Sheffield's a little way from where the brewery is based, but I'm still surprised I can't track any down. Their organic beer and their IPA are everywhere (and are both great) but no Cream Stout. I can't believe the Beer Gods are goading me like this.

[EDIT] Yay for Waitrose! I got a St Peter's sampler 4-pack, including their grapefruit ale and the cream stout. F'ing awesome!

GOT IT!!

From an email:

80% pale ale malt
6% both crystal and chocolate malt
4% wheat and black malt

No recipe, but I asked if I could at least have the malts. I'm guessing some lactose, and the aforementioned hops, but is the black malt=black barley? Or is it roasted barley??

The stout is terrific, isn't it??

Black malt usually = Black Patent Malt, but Roasted Barley could also work well and be style-appropriate. 4% sounds right for Black Patent.

GOT IT!!

From an email:

80% pale ale malt
4% wheat and black malt

No recipe, but I asked if I could at least have the malts. I'm guessing some lactose, and the aforementioned hops, but is the black malt=black barley? Or is it roasted barley??

I've had this beer befor, and I think it definitely has some lactose in it. I have a friend that is very sensitive to lactose, and this beer made him sick.

I'd also wager to say it's probably very lighting hopped with an English strain.

It also had a mild skunk from the green bottle, so bottle appropriately ;)

Did anyone end up making a clone of St.Peters Cream Stout? It's still my personal favorite beer.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread :)

I've had several great beers from St. Peters. I've emailed them a few times and they are very nice. Once I become used to this brewing thing, I'll be modeling some brews after theirs.

GOT IT!!

From an email:

80% pale ale malt
4% wheat and black malt

Ok, after several years I try to give new life to this post because I'm interested in the recipe too.

I was reading all the thread when I reached the message quoted...

80%+6%+4%... it's 94%... what's in the 6% left?

or.... 80%+6%+4%(wheat)+4%(black)...still not 100%! what's in the remaining 2%???

Thanks everyone for any reply!

Ok, after several years I try to give new life to this post because I'm interested in the recipe too.

or.... 80%+6%+4%(wheat)+4%(black)...still not 100%! what's in the remaining 2%???

80 + 6 + 6 + 4 + 4 = 100

I.e.
6% of Crystal
6% chocolate
4% wheat
4% black malt

ahah oh..ok, I was not paying enough attention maybe...sorry ^^

which yeast is the more appropriate?

lactose? how much in your opinion? when should be added? (never used it before)

Thks

In the recipe I have it's 6.5% of the total grain weight, added with 10 min left of the boil. Not sure from where I got the recipe and I'm yet to brew it

Wyeast 1318 is in my recipe...

Last edited:
Can you share the recipe? And once you brew, your thought? Thks
The recipe is similar as given in this thread, with the addition of lactose. It's possible it's actually from this thread...
Im not having any plans yet when to brew it... so many beers waiting to be brewed and so little time :no::p

The recipe is similar as given in this thread, with the addition of lactose. It's possible it's actually from this thread...
Im not having any plans yet when to brew it... so many beers waiting to be brewed and so little time :no::p
Ahaha yeah I see... But still, can you post It? Im interested in particular in lactose use and mash steps.... thks

It's available as an "official" extract kit in the UK FWIW so that would give some hints on hopping.

UK brewers tend to keep their mash schedules pretty simple, so without further information I'd just mash at say 66C.

Their yeast came from the NCYC so could be anything, but you'd expect it to be something characterful from one of the big UK brewers, I must admit I've not had any of their beers for a long time so can't really suggest anything specific. WLP025 Southwold would at least be local to them and is meant to be a nice yeast, White Labs are purging the Vault on 1 July so it's actually gettable. I don't know what yeast the kit uses but it will likely be dry yeast - I assume it's made by Muntons in which case it's probably their standard yeast which is a close relative of S-33/Windsor.

It's available as an "official" extract kit in the UK FWIW so that would give some hints on hopping.

UK brewers tend to keep their mash schedules pretty simple, so without further information I'd just mash at say 66C.

Their yeast came from the NCYC so could be anything, but you'd expect it to be something characterful from one of the big UK brewers, I must admit I've not had any of their beers for a long time so can't really suggest anything specific. WLP025 Southwold would at least be local to them and is meant to be a nice yeast, White Labs are purging the Vault on 1 July so it's actually gettable. I don't know what yeast the kit uses but it will likely be dry yeast - I assume it's made by Muntons in which case it's probably their standard yeast which is a close relative of S-33/Windsor.
Thanks!
Still a big question mark... What about lactose? When (at the end of boiling?)? How much?... Never used before :(

I don't know how sweet the St Peter's one is, somewhere around 6% lactose would be pretty typical for a milk stout but the range is anything from 2% to 12% or so - 12% is getting seriously sweet. Experiment, or see if you can find details of the kit.

You'll find somebody who adds their lactose at just about any stage of the process, but at a homebrew level then towards the end of the boil is a safe place to start.

I can't help it. I had to laugh. Maybe Zell23 was enjoying his or her homebrew a little too much while posting that reply. It brings to mind Brian Williams and Mara Gay's display of advanced math skills on MSNBC a few months ago.

I just had my first St. Peter's Cream Stout this evening and love the balance of flavors. I think there's enough to go on here. The main things we're missing is the color of the crystal malt and IBUs, but I think one of the style guides can get me in the ballpark on IBUs. I'm going to assume a medium-dark crystal malt.

Last edited:
Back