electric brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kappclark

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience using electric to do your boil instead of propane ?

I think I am going to convert part of the basement, so electric is looking like my boiling option ...

I have read to simply use electric plates/coils, but I cannot see how that would be enough to get a boil for 5 gallons ...

Where cld I get an electric boiler ??

Most people simply mount Electric water heater elements directly into their kettles. You'll need 230V to provide enough btu/hr. Search for pics of equipment, there are some really cool automated sculpures out there.

Many many ways to go about this, and there all good. Water heater elements can be mounted in kettles, hlt's and even mlt's to heat water or STIRRED grain. Unfortunately you need to research, there really is no "turn key" method. Good luck. I dabble in both propane and electric, and clearly see the merits of electric.

kappclark said:
Has anyone had experience using electric to do your boil instead of propane ?

I think I am going to convert part of the basement, so electric is looking like my boiling option ...

I have read to simply use electric plates/coils, but I cannot see how that would be enough to get a boil for 5 gallons ...

Where cld I get an electric boiler ??

Here is my setup.
DSC00686.JPG

DSC00692.JPG

DSC00682.JPG

DSC00689.JPG

That looks great.
Do you have a close up of the mounting of the element?
Is it a 240 V element running at 240V or 110V?
Is it rated as low density? (Any specs?)

Yorg said:
That looks great.
Do you have a close up of the mounting of the element?
Is it a 240 V element running at 240V or 110V?
Is it rated as low density? (Any specs?)

You can look in my gallery but I dont have any real close shots. What I did was to weld in a 1" coupling and screw the elements in.
Yes they are 240 v extra low density.
here is a link where I bought the elements.

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/u808634

WOW - quite a setup. So I assume you do not batch sparge, and there is an electric pump between #2 and #3 ..

I cannot weld, but it looks like some kind of patio furniture .. probably alot stronger..

I am equally impressed with the refridgerator in the background which looks like it has 8 taps !

Busy brewing in Michigan!

I don't want to speak for Kieth, but he does batch sparge, and makes great beer that way. Only 6 taps though, but 6 taps of pure beer goodness! :cross:

Iechyd Da said:
I don't want to speak for Kieth, but he does batch sparge, and makes great beer that way. Only 6 taps though, but 6 taps of pure beer goodness! :cross:

Thanks! And I keep them taps full 24/7....
And the frame I built myself out of some angle iron I had laying around.

Keiths,

would you care to share your element controller design (diagram)? Maybe just the basic control for only one element.

Thanks in advance!

Back