12 Nugget Roots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stout Man

Reaction score
I ordered a bundle of 10 nugget roots for $15. They were supposed to be 4" long, so I was gonna put 3-4 per mound with 3 mounds. I ended up getting 12 roots, one of them a double twisted around itself. They are actually 5" to 9", basically what a rhizome is. Much better than the advertised pic. Half already have sprouts on them. I have 4 mounds going with 3 roots per mound. Should I go ahead and make 2 more mounds so I have 6 mound, 2 roots per? I just think my yield would improve by spreading them out more. Here is a pic of my setup.
DSCF0663.JPG

15' tall, 17" wide. It can accommodate 12 plants for now.

Spread them out. There is a very good chance all of the rhizomes will grow, so the more room they have the better.

"I ordered a bundle of 10 nugget roots for $15."

Where did you get the rhizome's from?

I got the roots from www.4bfarms.com Just do a google search for "4 b farms garlic". They mainly sell garlic but they have some hop roots in. They also have a bundle of 50 Willamette hop roots for $15, and Golden hop roots but you have to call for the pricing.

Oh hey, they're based out of Mt. Angel. I loooove their Oktoberfest! I went last year, and got fat off of authentic German Lagers in their beer hall and deep fried twinkies. :drunk:

Now that I give it more thought, you might want to try trading a few for different varieties. I love Nugget, but 12 plants would mean 18-25 pounds at full production.

Well maybe I'll grow all of them for the first season. Later on when I decide to get some Kent Golding hops I could either make some more room around the trellis I have and plant them, or trade a Nugget that's been growing for one. But besides all the nugget I'm going to have I'll have cascade, hallertauer, chinook, mt. hood, fuggle, and northern brewer. That should keep me happy with home brew. I do want to eventually have 10 different varieties growing.

I did go out in the yard today and split the hops ups so I have 2 roots per mound. Most of them are sprouting well right now.

dpt222 said:
I am thinking Nugget?

LOL...I'm in for some Willamette. Flavor/aroma varieties are of more interest now to me being that I have a couple of Chinook and Cascade on the way.

I'm thinking that maybe they aren't really held to any scrutiny in terms of viable new shoots?

Latest posts

Back