Claussenii in old ale/barley wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairmist

Reaction score
Hi, I hope someone can provide some feedback to my plan...
I have a barley wine/old ale (Marris Otter, crystal 270 and swedish rauchmalt, fuggles and EKG hops, WLP007) which I plan to divide in two batches and ferment one of them with Brett Claussenii.
OG: 1082
SG: 1019 (after 14 days)

If I ferment it with the Brett now, how long or at what gravity can I bottle it without worrying that the bottles will burst?

It tastes wonderful (although raw, unfinished and rough around the edges) now, so I can hardly wait to see what it'll be like five years from now...

Ferment the same as sacc.. your final gravity will be close to the same. I would just give a little extra time.. might start off a little slower..
Edit: I get 1016 as a FG at 80% so that's about where you would want to shoot for..

So in your opinion the brett will not superattenuate and make my bottles explode? How much should I cut back the amount of priming sugar?

I should add that I'm probably not the best one to answer about Brett.. I've got about 5 funks under my belt the newest being a Brett only cider and probably done 8 sours with 4 still in carboys ranging from 2 months to 1 year..

Ferment the same as sacc.. your final gravity will be close to the same. I would just give a little extra time.. might start off a little slower..
Edit: I get 1016 as a FG at 80% so that's about where you would want to shoot for..

OP is talking about adding the brett to the existing beer, not 100% brett

So in your opinion the brett will not superattenuate and make my bottles explode? How much should I cut back the amount of priming sugar?

yes it will superattenuate. you could cut back a lil as it may slowly chew, but depends how long u plan to wait first.

dcp27 said:
OP is talking about adding the brett to the existing beer, not 100% brett

I missed that.. damn, my bad.. :drunk:
Half of mine were fermented with sacc and then just pitched dregs.. where do you think his FG will end up?

certainly lower, but i haven't found any consistency when using it in secondary. i'd guess around 1.01

Any idea on how long I should leave it in the secondary for the gravity to drop those eight points?
I see that there is activity in the airlock, but when I measured the gravity yesterday, it had not changed.

you typically won't really notice airlock activity with brett in the secondary as its slow moving. give it at least 3 months

Latest posts

Back