Problems with first gallon of mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeadHeathen

Reaction score
I made a gallon using a recipe I found on stormthecastle.com. After I racked it off after it finished fermenting, I tried it and it was disgusting. I know its only been about a month and 1/2, but I was wondering if that is common, and will letting it sit make it taste better or did I mess up somewhere?

a month and a half is way too young.
bottle it in 4-6 months, try the bottle in 4-6 months.

now would be a good time to start your 2nd batch.

If you used good procedures during the making and kept everything clean, followed the directions, then it is probably ok. Young mead tastes disgusting. Mead can take years to age properly. Put it in a well topped-up gallon jug and forget about it for a year or two. I bet it will be a totally different drink.

Thanks. I did clean everything thoroughly, and followed all the directions. I just had to taste it, and was hoping I hadn't wasted the time with it. As for making more, I actually made 2 at the beginning, and both tasted bad (which was more worrying). And started a 3rd two days ago. This took a load off of my mind.

Almost every first timer to mead has this exact same questions you do. Freshly made mead does tast horrible except for JOAM, which is dead easy to make and dead easy to drink after a month or so. Follow the advice given above, put it away for a long while. My first mead was horrible but now 13 years later, it is nectar of the gods. :) Just keep making it, if you need your fermentor, move it into a secondary container, preferably glass or betterboy product. Some mead even make it into tertiary stages before bottling. Above all stop worrying. Put it away and forget about it for a while. You will appreciate your efforts down the line.

IMO even JAO isn't ready when its finished, clear and the fruit has dropped. I find it needs a good few months ageing.

+1 Fatbloke, My joam gets better and better every month. It was not untill after month 6 I really started to enjoy it. Right at 3 months I was not even ready to share it with friends. Now they enjoy it.

Back