Crushed (malted) grain remains fresh for ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pintdiaries

Reaction score
I received a Pliny the Elder all-grain clone kit as a gift on July 10. I intended to brew it right away; but, because I got sick, was unable to. So, I stored it in my 2nd fridge. 2 days later, the fridge died. So, it's been in my garage (coolest place in my house) for almost 2 months, at about 70-85 degrees.

Should I assume the crushed malted grains are "toast"? Or is it worth trying to brew the batch anyway?

Thanks!

I have brewed crushed grains about 6 weeks later and tasted fine. If it was a gift, you have nothing to loose but about 4 hous or so of your time. I'd give it a rip.

I think you should be ok within that time frame but it probably wouldn't hurt to have some DME on hand just in case you're pre-boil gravity is a bit lower than it should be.

Oxygen, bugs, and moisture are the three things that will ruin grain in short order. If you had the grains stored airtight and moisture free, and don't show any visible signs of turning, they are probably fine.

HOWEVER, I certainly would repurpose those particular grains for another brew, and NOT use them in a Pliny Clone. The grains are certainly NOT at peak freshness after two months in the garage, and I wouldn't want to waste a metric s**tton of hops with subpar grain. Go buy fresh grain for the Pliny Clone, make something else with the old grain.

Good luck!

Oxygen, bugs, and moisture are the three things that will ruin grain in short order. If you had the grains stored airtight and moisture free, and don't show any visible signs of turning, they are probably fine.

HOWEVER, I certainly would repurpose those particular grains for another brew, and NOT use them in a Pliny Clone. The grains are certainly NOT at peak freshness after two months in the garage, and I wouldn't want to waste a metric s**tton of hops with subpar grain. Go buy fresh grain for the Pliny Clone, make something else with the old grain.

Good luck!

THIS is excellent advice!

I used to use pre-crushed grains all the time and, at times, several months old. The only thing I can imagine that suffered was my target gravities. I suspect they were a bit low overall after several months of storage.

I think TopherM's advice is perfect. You want to get a good Pliny clone so use fresh grain. The older crushed grain will be perfect for a rent beer.

Back