Temperature probes vs dial thermometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunchbox

Reaction score
I'm designing my HERMS system, and I've been trying to decide whether to use dial thermometers or temperature probes.
My question is...

If I use the temperature probes like those used here, do I have to connect them to a PID like they have? All I'd really like is a digital read-out that I can have on my control panel.

Hi

You can connect them to a *compatible* digital readout. The probe in the link is a 100 ohm RTD. That's different than a 10K ohm NTC or a type K thermistor. As long as the readout is expecting the probe you have, it will read out.

In many cases it's cheaper to buy a readout + sensor than to buy them separately. The gotcha there is that you then need to adapt their cheap sensor to your setup.

Some math:

Cheap sensor + probe, brand new - eBay $6 delivered. Plus stuff to make it like the one in the picture total -> $35.

Sensor like the one in the picture - $25. Plus cheap eBay PID total -> $35 to $40.

Bob

Back