Vigorous growth of certain varieties?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hethen57

Reaction score
I planted 7 different varieties (several of each) last fall of identical sized plants and my Centennial, Chinook and Kent Goldings are blowing away the others (cascade, ctz, mt hood, ?) in terms of folliage and height. I wonder if those varieties just take to my location better than the others, or is it the same for everyone else? Just curious.

The location sure does have a lot to do with it but in your case, they haven't really reached maturity yet. Next year, or even by the end of this year, you may notice some differences in long term vigor. They're fun to watch over the years. Happy Growing!

I am on my 3rd year hops, and there are definate differences in the amount of growth and rate of growth between varieties. I have some that are over 6 feet high and some that I still can't get to the ropes. In the end, they all are harvested within a two week timeframe.

Agree with b-hoppy. At this point, most of the difference is probably the vigor of the rhizome you got. As time goes on you'll see a difference based on your soil, light, climate, etc. Some varieties just don't do as well regardless of conditions (e.g. noble varieties like Saaz).

Just out of curiousity....do you guys notice that Centennial, Columbus (I said chinook above but it is one of my slower growers), and Kent Goldings have the more vigorous growth in your areas compared to other varieties? Things may change, but those plants are growing like Cobras up my 20' twine with big leaves, whereas the others are barely half way up a t-post. They all started as nearly identical rooted cuttings.

My Centennials, Columbus, and Cascade are growing like crazy, Northern Brewer and Brewers Gold are growing moderately, Galena as well. My Hallertau which I planted in May is already larger than the Brewers Gold and Northern Brewer which were planted in March. Chinook are growing EXTREMELY slow.

My centennial is at least 4x shorter than fuggle. Both second year, and the centennial gets more light. Identical soil.

Actually, mine grow in this order (strongest to weakest):
Zeus
Cascade
Centennial
Nugget
Chinook
Kent Goldings

The biggest difference from your example is the Goldings...mine is doing ok but very slow. Right now the Zeus is about 12' and Goldings is about 4'. This is the first year in the ground...last year they were in pots because I didn't have my raised bed ready.

I have good success with sterling growing here but my cascade died. My nugget is doing ok, it's slow and steady. The mt hood rooted cutting I got grows crazy as long as it doesn't get too hot, so I've had to partially shield it from the sun.

1st year plants all get same light same soil same amount of water, all were planted from plants in 1 gallon pots on 5 June the root structure of the plants was pretty similar but not identical. The Cascade is 12 feet tall; the Centennial is 11.5; the Columbus about 6; the Northern Brewer is 4; All are healthy dark green with good thick bush at the base and strong bines and starting to develop the side shoots. I must say I am very impressed with the robust growth and general health of the plants. I got them at Great Lakes Hops, drove there picked them up and drove home and planted the same day.

this year i divided my goldings into about 25 rhizomes, all from the same plant.each of the cuttings have grown to all different heights ranging from 4' to 12' i dont think variety has much to do with growth.I think the size of the root system is more of a contributing factor.

I've been wondering the same thing. For me, I've seen major differences between my two plants - nugget and cascade. The nugget has grown like a beast from the start, but the cascade has been much slower. The weird part now is that despite being significantly shorter and less hardy than the nugget, the cascade has started flowering, and the nugget has not at all.

Back