Brewing my first beer for school project!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtlbrew

Reaction score
Hi guys!

So I am brewing my first beer with pals for a school project, a BIAB SMASH!! soooooo exited:ban:

So i got a question for you guys. We are making a small batch, because the pot we have can only hold 12 liters and our fermenter (fancy ass 12000$ fermenter at school) can only hold 1L. We are planning on doing a Vienna/Cascada SMaSH. How much Vienne and Cascade should we use? I am not familiar with the volume and weight calculations...

Thanks again!:fro:

thanks alot will check that out! and here is a picture of the fermenter! :p

LAMBDA-Minifor-fermentor-preview.jpg

Sounds like government spending right there. Canadian or US.

Yeah government contracting. Someone's brother goes and buys a home depot bucket, drills a hole in it, adds and airlock and pockets 11945$ Who says we shouldn't cut spending in the US.

i think the 1L comment is a typo....your brewing 10 times your fermentors capacity in one batch.

I live in Canada and the fermenter is 1L capacity by the company Lambda if you guys are curious in checking it out! We have to use this because this project is for chemistry and we have to monitor and adjust many perimeters. It would have been much simpler to use a bucket trust me :p

So lets say we put 8 liters of water in the pot, how much grain are we going to need and how much hops? :p

Thanks

Why brew 8l if you can only ferment one? Why use l at all? Gallons are better....

Take any 5 gallon recipe and convert it down to what you want...

Because the rest that doesn't fit into the fermenter we will put in a bucket and ferment for personal use

after reading what i wrote, i realize that i haven't really asked the right question. Since I am using Vienna malt, what ratio of grain/water is appropriate for this grain? That is what I don't know!

Thanks

and you have to account for grain absorbtion as well, which i can't recall what it is... i think it's .33q per pound, but it's early and my brain isn't working.
Also, if you're doing brew in a bag, the 1.25 per pound is not correct, thats the rule of thumb for mashing/sparging type brewing.

brew in a bag = water/wort you want to end up with at the end + grain absorption water

Latest posts

Back