Gulden Appel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilOssiferzStone

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
White Labs WLP400 Belgian Wit
Yeast Starter
None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Gold/amber
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 68 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 68 degrees
Additional Fermentation
None
Tasting Notes
Simultaneously tart and slightly sweet, without any cloying fruitness. DELICIOUS!
5 lbs. pilsen DME
2.5 lbs. white wheat
.25 lbs. Special B
1 oz. Hallertau
White Labs WLP400 Belgian Wit
4 lbs. pulverized Granny Smiths in secondary
Carb with a full cup of table sugar.

This is one of the earliest beers I made -- and it started out as an accident. I wanted to make a conventional Wit, but the local brew shop had only one 3-lb. bag of wheat malt left, and no pilsen at all. So I went with half gold malt instead, and somewhere along the way I decided to turn it into a fruit ale....

That was the first time I ever dared wing it, recipe-wise, and the results were tasty enough I kept making more. Since then, the recipe has evolved a bit. I use light DME from a 50-lb. bag as a base for practically everything anymore, as that cuts the price per batch practically in half. The wheat still makes up only about a quarter of the grain bill, and I use Special B to put a bit of color and caramell-y sweetness back into it. I've made six batches now, to the point where I feel quite safe entering it into the public record and giving something back to the community that has been so patient and helpful to me.

Temperature control is key. Keep it in the upper 60's, and that awesome White Labs Wit yeast will give you a nice tartness to balance the ever-so-slight sweetness of the fruit. Bottle ages wonderfully, but none of it has ever survived beyond the three-month mark....

Back