20 mins into my 115th Hopdream IIPA!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats a ****load of hops.I bet it taste great,with hot wings and waffle frys

Stop it you are making me drool LOL

Keep us posted how it turns out, I was looking at that kit and really wanted to try it. I would want to pitch a big ass starter in that thing lol....thats a strong ass beer.

I ended up dropping 2 ounces of Centennial leaf hops into the secondary when I racked. I swirled it around just a tad bit and the air coming out of the air-stop smells like heaven at night!!

John I recommend using a strainer bag on the end of your siphon, when you transfer to your bottling bucket. When I transfered my HopHead IPA (with 2oz dry hop)my siphon kept gettting plugged up and I didnt get all the beer out of secondary. Im going to make it again but use a straining bag next time.

I brewed this beer over the summer and it came out horribly. It was my first bad batch/drain pour. I think it was too warm in the garage where I had it fermenting. I had a thermocouple in the fermenter and it was reading around 80 F for a fair amount of the primary and secondary. I was really looking forward to this one, oh well...

Going to Bottle this one on Sunday. 2 weeks of dry hopping with 2 oz of Centennial. I cant wait for it to be ready to drink! My Torpedo Clone is going strong right now! That is going to be a treat if it is anywhere near as good as the real deal. Then it is time to make my Little Kings Cream Ale! Bring back childhood memories!

Bottled this on Thursday after I got off work. I can't wait to open one and try it in about 10 days! It smelled awesome when I was bottling it. It did however seem to not have as much hop aroma as I thought it would have!!

It smelled awesome when I was bottling it. It did however seem to not have as much hop aroma as I thought it would have!!

Worry not, the carbonation will carry that intoxicating hop aroma right up into your little nostrils. :cross:

Bottled this on Thursday after I got off work. I can't wait to open one and try it in about 10 days! It smelled awesome when I was bottling it. It did however seem to not have as much hop aroma as I thought it would have!!

I'm going to bottle this over the weekend, how did you 115th turn out?

It has been in bottles with carb tabs for about 3.5 weeks now. I tried one at 2 weeks and it was still flat. I rolled it a little and will let it sit for about another week and see what happens. Does the higher ABV slow down the carbonation??

I made 2 batches of this and they both sucked. Now don't get me wrong, I dig NB and I'm not dissing them at all but this beer isn't what I hoped it would be. The first batch was fermented too high of a temp this summer and came out all fusely and the second one tastes average at best but it's not carbonating well, even with 6 oz of dextrose. I also made the Hopfather DIPA recipe at the same time as the second 115th batch and that tastes phenomenal. Highly recommend the Hopfather...

High gravity beers like this can take a very long time to carbonate compared to average beers. You could be looking at 1-2 monthsh before you get good carbonation.

John, have you tasted it yet since the last post? I'm interested in how this beer came out. I'm a hophead, but this seems insane to even me.

Crazy, I just put a bottle in the fridge today. Im gonna crack it open with a cigar in a few. I will see how it is.

One of the champagne bottles that I used to bottle my 115th blew it's cork recently -- I'm drinking it right now but it definitely needs more time to age.

Still NO carbonation, and its been a month. WTF?? I guess I am just going to forget about this one for about 2-3 more months before even trying another! On the other hand, My Torpedo clone is pretty damned good. Not a Torpedo, but close.

Well, I dumped about 50% of this batch. It was just building NO carbonation and to be honest, it was pretty NOT good! I have no clue what went wrong, but It is the first batch I have dumped!

It was not so good. It had to go. But I did save about 12 to see what happens!

It's a very high gravity ale, like barleywine high. You brewed it less than 3 months ago. I just think you should have saved the whole batch to see what happens, not just 12. Did you need the extra space or something?

It's a very high gravity ale, like barleywine high. You brewed it less than 3 months ago. I just think you should have saved the whole batch to see what happens, not just 12. Did you need the extra space or something?

I completely agree here. I've had big beers taste horrible after a month or two and then magically start to get better as time goes on. I almost threw one out one point (only thrown one beer out to this day, *knock on wood*) that ended up being one of my best beers after about 8 months of aging.

Patience, young Jedi.

I'm formulating a Barely wine / IIPA (haven't decided) that I plan on leaving sit for a good 8-9 months....I don't see how it would be any good only 1 month in the bottle.

I have a 12 pack of this tucked away deep in the cellar. I will not touch it for about 6 more mos.

We're all pro life when it comes to beer. I hope those are the 12 best beers you ever brewed, cause that means there coulda been 48. Beer killer!:eek: ha ha

We're all pro life when it comes to beer. I hope those are the 12 best beers you ever brewed, cause that means there coulda been 48. Beer killer!:eek: ha ha

I feel bad enough without the guilt being laid on! Now im so depressed, I may have to eat a hop sammich to get my self esteem back!:fro:

I'm so bummed to hear this didn't turn out well. I was thinking about brewing this next and was all excited, then to hear a few people say theirs didn't turn out good has me disappointed.

Mine turned out ok, it's a little sweeter then I personally like.

Additionally, the beer carbonated better in the 22 oz bottles vs the 12 oz bottles.

Newbie here..First post. I just put this into the primary today. My OG was slightly off, 1.070 and I'm trying to figure out why. Two questions: 1) When I measured the OG, this was with a total of 6 gals in the fermenter. I take it this would have an effect (vs. 5 gal) but would that fully explain why I'm off from the expected OG of 1.082? 2) I strained the wort before putting into the primary. A wort thats strained vs. not-strained should have a difference in OG no? Is that also a factor then in why my OG is low? Thanks

5 gallons of 1.082 wort diluted with a gallon of water is 1.068, and straining makes no difference in OG. I'm assuming this was supposed to be a 5 gallon batch.

Thank for the quick response. Due to the amount of hops, it starts out with 6 (3 before boiling + 3 in primary) but I believe the recipe expects a little over 5 once it gets into the primary. I think I over compensated a bit by putting back up to 6 in the primary, but would mean not as much alcohol (bad). But other than that I should be ok no?

I plan to brew this up this weekend and after reading this thread I'd like to point out a few things. The reason the op ended up with a starting gravity of 1.119 is because he only ended up with what looks like about 4 gallons of wort. This recipe clearly points out that it is intended to yield 6 gallons if wort. I would like to know of the op used a starter, because I plan to make a 1250 ml starter with a gravity of 1.091 and use two packs of WYeast American Ale II. Personally I prefer this over the 1056. So the others of you out there who brewed this with little success appear to have fermented it to high and did not have enough yeast cells to finish of the carbonation in the bottles. I'll repost to this thread in November and tell you my results. Cheers

I too had carbing issues with mine. It's been sitting happily for several months in the basement, I'll give it some more time and then consider opening it up and tossing a little bit of dry yeast in each bottle.

Jbyer: what was the set up for your starter, post boil volume less trub/hop matter, and your starting and finishing gravities.

Actually, let me correct the name of the kit! 115th Dream Hopbursted IIPA. from Northern Brewer. Just got it into the primary. It is sitting at 1.119 gravity. 27.5 Balling sugars, and 15% ABV potential. Somewhere around 120 IBU's too. Should be good!!! I cant wait to drink a few of these with a nice maduro cigar!

holy crap, that is not a IIPA that is a freaking monster, I am not sure you could add enough hops to balance that thing out :)

I cracked open a bottle (bottled 10/2009) the other night and the favor is outstanding; however, despite being in the bottle for almost a year, the carbonation level is still on the low side.

what about just dropping some of those carbonation caps in the bottle and recapping them? or are the yeast all in permanent hibernation mode now?

Jbyer: what was the set up for your starter, post boil volume less trub/hop matter, and your starting and finishing gravities.

I wish I could tell you, my hard drive crashed over the summer, taking everything, including BeerAlchemy, with it.

All I can tell you is I made a starter according to the Mr. Malty's calculator, and pitched about 1.75 liters of starter, using a stir plate.

Back