Brewery names--what's your story?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought about naming mine after my street: Corona (damn that's already taken)

Then I thought maybe name it after the river that runs through Rochester: Genessee (damn, that's taken too...)

Decided to use my dog for inspiration, he's a pit bull (and my parents and my brother own pit bulls too), so decided on "Bully Dog Brewing"

My wife & I used to own a parcel of land where we had considered building a house. The land was about 2/3 wooded, many of which were very nice hickory trees. Since both of us dabbled in various crafts & hobbies, we decided on the name "Hickory Glynn" as a name for any craft-type ventures we might try. It started out as "Hickory Glen" as in "glen" for a small wooded area, but we liked the alternate spelling we made up (she's artsy that way). Eventually we sold the land and the new owner got rid of the hickory trees. And my wife decided on other names for her arts & crafts ventures. But when I started playing around with winemaking and homebrewing I decided that "Hickory Glynn Winery and Brewery" looked kinda classy on the labels I did up, so now the name lives on, even if the trees don't.

IMG00438.jpg

hickoryglynnlogo.jpg

"Hoppy's Home Brew"

My family name is Hopwood, and the nickname Hoppy has been passed down for generations. When my grandfather passed away, my father and I thought it a fitting tribute to brew under this name.

Also, a beer called 'Hoppy' must be good!

I really need to come up with a different name. Right now I'm just using my last name, Hermetz. Not original at all. I also want a name that I can place on all my brews that won't be overbearing and take away from the actual brew's name. Something simple yet good.

I have a couple ideas. I'm in advertising Sales at a paper so I'm thinking:

- Persuasive Brewing
- Black Patch Brewing

...or from my Hometown's history:

- Colonel Sam (Founder of GM Canada)
- General brewing (From OHL team Oshawa Generals)

I'm personally leaning towards Black Patch brewing. What you guys think?

Right now I'm trying out "Broustaris Guild Brewing".

"Broustaris" was the Middle Ages' Scots term for the women who ran brewhouses. Until the guys got wise fairly recently, brewing was considered women's work. They were never let into the craft guildes run by kilted dudes, and eventually faced moral disapproval because the income they generated made their husbands look bad. Nevermind the kilts...

I'm not sure on a name yet but I think I want to put a quote at the bottom of my label. I just got come up with my favorite one.

Side note found this on the woot today. Funny quote:

"Also let’s keep this a secret between us son. Because these lessons are like a beautiful woman: if your mother finds out, she’ll kill me."

Got my name picked out and after Saturday will have my first batch under my belt....

Semper Fi Brewing Co.

Mine is "Four Green Fields Brew Works"..."Four Green Fields" is the title of an Irish folk song. Being part Irish I grew up with a lot of this type of music, esp. at my grandparent's house. I incorporated the four beer ingredients into the logo to correspond to the Four Green Fields along with some Celtic scrollwork...

4GFBW-2.jpg

Well this has been a hot topic around our house because my wife wants me to go pro. We are trying to come up with something that isn't completely place specific (Colorado Springs Brewing Co) or personnel specific (Todd's Brewing).

We have a community garden in our backyard and we keep chickens in the back as well. We live basically in the middle of Colorado Springs and there are specific rules regarding "livestock" or fowl. "Up to any 10 fowl over six months of age excluding roosters." This is the guiding force for the current front runner in the name game.

Ten Hens Brewing Company and Urban Prairie Farms

Still working on logo ideas but I am leaning toward something wine label like.

-Todd

I have four batches under my belt and my brewing name is "Bootleg Brewing Co."

Thought it was pretty creative and everyone seems to love it.

I've haven't been brewing very long, but I came up with the name "Brown Adobe Brewing Company".

I live in a brown colored adobe style house. Not much of a story.

It has potential for beer names.

I have decided on "Brain Pain Brewing Co." The name comes from a friend in the army who nick named me Brain Pain for my ability to get our squad leader to leave us alone by talking him into a head ache. Later my skill improved as my rank went up and I was quickly able to turn away Lts with my gab. Honestly though im not a talker otherwise.

I bottle my first batch on monday its an amber ale.

wicked.bmp

Cruiscín Lán Grúdlann

Gaelic for Little Full Jug Brewery

inspired by one of my favorite Irish Folk songs

Let the farmer praise his grounds
Let the huntsman praise his hounds
Let the shepherd praise his dewy-scented lambs
But I, more wise then they, spend each happy night and day
With me darling little cruiscín lán, lán, lán,
With me darling little cruiscín lán.

Chorus
Oh, gradh mo chroide mo cruiscín
Slainte geal Mauver-neen,
Gradh mo chroide mo cruiscín lán, lán, lán,
Oh gradh mo chroide mo cruiscín lán.

Immortal and divine, great Bacchus, god of wine
Create me by adoption, your own son
In the hope that you'll comply, that my glass shall ne'er run dry
Nor me darlin' little cruiscín lán, lán, lán,
Nor me darlin' little cruiscín lán.

Chorus...

And when grim death appears
In a few but happy years
He'll say,"Oh, won't you come along with me?
"I'll say, "Begone ye knave, for King Bacchus gave me lave
For to fill another cruiscín lán, lán, lán,
"For to fill another cruiscín lán.

Chorus...

So fill your glasses high
Let's not part so dry
Though the lark proclaims it is the dawn
And since we can't remain May we shortly meet again
To share another cruiscín lán, lán, lán,
To share another cruiscín lán.

Chorus...

I have been working on a label for some time now.

My uncle (six times removed) was Roland Hill. He was the guy that came up with the idea of the postage stamp.

Search...."Penny Post".

Anyway, I think my "brewery" will be called "Penny Black" after the first edition of the stamp.

If anyone could help me with the graphics, that would be great!

Greydog

This name came to life because me and my friends played poker every friday night our junior and senior year of high school and when we graduated we deiced to up the ante and start brewing our own beer .....to bad I am the only one still brewing but the name has stuck and it means alot to me

Boston Way Brewing

cause I live on Boston Way. Sounds cool to me though so I'll probably keep it when I move out of this crappy apartment.

Currently I'm using Semper Fi Brewing Co. However, I'm thinking of going with

"Teufel Hunden Brewing Company" Any thoughts? Teufel Hunden = German for "Devil Dogs"

Decided on Plan 9 Brewing Co. as I am a huge Horror/Sci-Fi fan and Plan 9 from Outer Space is one of my favorite films, and shows even people without talent can follow their dreams to the end. All of my beers are named after horror/sci-fi characters.

plan9brewing-logo-small.jpg

Just started brewing (have two fermenting right now) right now and while I'm waiting on them I figured I might as well come up with a name and make labels and what not.

The name I decided on was Drei Kätzchen Hausbrauerei because we have three cats (kätzchen is kittens but it sounds better and more German than Katzen.)

IppahLabel.jpg

That is the label for my IPA with the logo on the bottom.

live in a 114 yr old victorian in Pottsville PA 14 blocks from the Yuengling Brewery. Am storing my stuff under the front porch and using it to lager and as a cold storage for what I have bottled. this summer will put a floor in and finish it off and make a brewery. really cool place, the foundation of the house is stone on one wall and the the porch walls are brick for 2 others with windows in them and the fourth wall is an old wooden wall. is approx 8 ft wide by 20 ft long. will be putting a wood ceiling and the floor is going to be riverstone with coal sprinkled over it (pottsville is the anthracite coal region) and bonded with a clear finish. have an old oak door with a full length window that will have the brewery name frosted on it as the entrance from the basement it was from my grandmothers old house before she passed. the black gray and white is a play on the white box food theme and I use 3/4 inch round white labels for on my bottle tops with the name and brewed and bottled dates

Under_the_Porch_Brewing.BMP

Bell Buckle Brewing Company... named after the tiny little town in TN where my wife and I met and live.

I named mine after the effect that occurs when using a rangefinder or twin-lens reflex camera. There is a slight perspective shift between what is seen and recorded. Homebrews are providing a new perspective on beer than what is available from commercial breweries. I also made the background of my logo 18% grey, with is the color of a card that photographers use to reference exposure and white balance.

parallaxlogo600.gif

My nickname since childhood has always been Moe. I am ever so slightly bow-legged, so naturally my brewery is named Bow-Legged Moe's...legged being pronounced in two syllables.

My brewery is Dubious Homebrew, which is an outgrowth of Dubious Creative Studio, a catch-all name for many disparate projects. The inspiration came from my love of self-deprecating humor and the fact that many people, upon first meeting me (my wife included), apparently consider me a person of dubious character. They are, of course, utterly correct. :D The question mark logo came from a friend's dog, also named Dubious due to the perfect question-mark-shaped patch of white in his fur.

homebrewlogo.jpg

Echo brewing ,it's my street name I think it sounds good plus I can here ocean waves so it fits I think...

I thought about going with an area-related name and had one that I liked, but it didn't seem to get any traction with my friends and family. It was going to be named after the local river that runs a couple of hundred yards by my house. Mighty Raritan Brewing.

Since I don't have any support of that one, I'll probably end up going with the family name...

Evans Clan Brewing

My kids always want to help with the brew sessions anyway, so naming it after the family makes sense.

Too bad there's already an brewpub with a similar name in Upstate NY (CH Evans Brewery).

Back