Please Critique this Mild Recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbeard5289

Reaction score
Greetings Everyone.

I am looking for some critiquing/feedback on this Mild Recipe that I created so that I could use up some Kent Golding Hops before they go stale and a few other ingredients that I have on hand.

Redbeard's Mild Ale
(Extract with Grains)

4 lbs Light LME (late addition)
8 oz Aromatic Malt
8 oz Crystal Malt 60ºL
3 oz Chocolate Malt
3 oz Roasted Barley
4 oz Cara-Pils

.75 oz Kent Goldings -60min (4.5% AA)
.5 oz Fuggle -10min (4.8% AA)
.5 oz Fuggle -5 min (4.8% AA)

1 tsp Irish Moss

Wyeast 1098 (British Ale)

Corn Sugar -Priming (Like 2.5 - 4oz to keep the CO2 Volume under 2.0)

Steep Grains in 3 qts of water at 154ºF for 30min. Rinse Grains with 1.5 qts of water at 170ºF. Add water to make 6 gallons and bring to a boil. Boil for 60 minutes, add hops at times indicated above. Add LME and Irish Moss at 15min left of 60min boil time.
Coll Wort and transfer to Fermenter, top off to 5 gallons of cool water if needed. Aerate Wort and Pitch yeast. Ferment at 66ºF until complete then rack into bottles/keg with corn sugar.

I ran this thru BrewTarget 2.0 and got the following specs for the recipe,
OG = 1.036
FG = 1.009
IBU = 18.9
SRM = 16.5
ABV = 3.5%

So what do you guys and gals think? I know some the ingredients are a bit untraditional for a mild, but hey that's what makes home-brewing so much fun is going outside the lines.

Thanks for looking
Redbeard5289 :mug:

I would lower the dark malts, 6 oz of choc/RB seems like it would make for a roastier beer than milds usually are.

The aromatic malt really should be mashed with some enzymatic base malt since it contains starch, any chance you could do a mini-mash?

If you want to brew "too style" I would get rid of the late hop additions. That said it will still be plenty tasty with them.

Other than that it looks pretty tasty to me, good luck brewing.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, appreciate it!

I know its not in-line with the style guidelines for a Mild but I figured the recipe looked tasty enough on paper to give it a try. Will brew it up this weekend and try to give a report back on this recipe and let you know whats going on.

For a more traditional mild recipe, the next mild I do after this will be the Mild-Mannered Ale that Orfy submitted to this forum a while back. That one looked rather tasty too!

Thanks
Redbeard5289

Thanks for the feedback everyone, appreciate it!

I know its not in-line with the style guidelines for a Mild but I figured the recipe looked tasty enough on paper to give it a try. Will brew it up this weekend and try to give a report back on this recipe and let you know whats going on.

As a stand alone recipe, I think it looks quite tasty. Should definitely be good. Good luck with the brew! :mug:

As a stand alone recipe, I think it looks quite tasty. Should definitely be good. Good luck with the brew! :mug:

Agreed. In the future try to give us a better idea of what sort of feedback you want, or what type of beer you are trying to brew (for example you said it was untraditional, but I wasn't sure if you were talking about malt/hops or something else I didn't see).

Also traditional going back to the 1880s. Roasty has never been a part of the Mild profile, nor is it part of any current commercial Mild.

People can make whatever they wish, but calling a beer by a specific style when it violates the standards is misleading.

Back