Oatmeal Stout - 53 days old

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mixmasterob

Reaction score
I brewed the Oatmeal Stout kit from Midwest and bottled it on December 6th. They have been in the bottle 53 days which is about 7.5 weeks. They are carbed up nicely but there are some off flavors and aroma. It almost as if they still taste 'green'. Should I expect anything from these in the coming weeks or should I just bite the bullet and drink em?

Patience is my number one brewing enemy. Do what Reddheadedstepchild says.

totally agree....taste one now...another next week, and so on...flavor profile should change with time...probably be delish in a month..:drunk:

I did an American Stout in the beginning of November with an OG of 1.076. It has been in a keg since Dec 23. I have been taking a sip every couple of days. Yesterday was the first time that it started to taste decent, but it still seems like it has a ways to go.

I think stouts just take a loooong time.

I also agree with the above suggestions - I think it is a useful exercise to regularly taste aging beer to get an idea of what is going on.

My biggest problem is I taste too much. By the time a beer gets real good its almost gone. I started brewing cream ales or hefes every time I brew something dark or that needs age so I can have something to cure the crave. So I would suggest that you brew 2 days fairly close to eachother brew a beer that takes time and get It started and the brew a beer that id done fiarly qwik. Just my 2 cents on how to have Beer Patence.

uhh how much malt did you use? I definitely think conditioning really depends on final alcohol percentage...the higher the percentage the longer you gatta wait. I usually go by how much malt I added.

6# DME? usually let condition for 4 weeks
7# DME 8 weeks
8# DME 12 weeks
9# DME 16+ weeks

Basically open a beer each month...I find if i use any more than 9# you really gatta let it sit for 4-5 months before the flavors start to blend and settle well

This is completely all in my head though.

What kind of yeast did you use? I did the MW Oatmeal stout as my first brew 10-8-09. It did get better with age but id say by 7-8 weeks it was as good as it was going to get with the standard muntons yeast. If i had known then what ive learned since i wouldve used different yeast...

Back