Brooklyn Brewery Black Ops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alcibiades

Reaction score
I got an email from the local wine store saying they are getting this years "black ops" from Brooklyn tomorrow. Its probably going to be expensive. Has anybody had this? Is it worth it?

Here is the wine shop's description:

This is the second ever vintage of Brooklyn's incredibly rare Imperial Stout. Some of the brewery's Black Chocolate Stout, which was brewed in larger quantity than usual last year, was put in Kentucky Bourbon barrels by Brewmaster Garrett Oliver. He kept the endeavor secret from nearly everyone, including brewery staff, until its release last December. It's in 750 mL wine-sized bottles under a cork and we were able to get 3 cases. This beer should age beautifully (I haven't yet opened any of mine from last year's release).

I've enjoyed the base beer for this, in spite of the fact that I'm not really big on stouts. Sounds interesting.

Wish their stuff made it to the west coast. I had a bottle of the chocolate stout a few years back and loved it; it'd be great to pick up some of that.

well, i don't really go for stouts too often. however, i could drink the black chocolate stout every day for the rest of my life. so, yeah.............i'd definately go for it!:mug:

I had two bottle of Black Ops from last year. Its good, but I dont think its worth the $18-$20 price tag. I much rather have the regular Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout anyday.

One of the brewmasters dropped off a couple at my work. I haven't had a chance to taste it yet but others have given it a thumbs up. Apparently it hasn't been released even in Brooklyn yet.

Apparently Lexington is only getting a case or 2, but not until Feb or March. I should be getting a bottle or 2. Can't wait!

Edit: It's coming in tomorrow!

I like Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout, but I think it might be a bit overrated (of course taste is subjective). It just seems somewhat tame for a Russian Imperial Stout. I've got two bottles left that I plan on aging and trying later.

Don't get me wrong -- I really like the beer and will buy it every year.

Black ops is really good. The oak aging on the black chocolate stout really takes some of the rough edges off. Definitely not worth the $20 they charge for it though.

I was pretty disappointed that they raised the price of the black chocolate stout this year.

Has anyone come up with a decent recipe for the black chocolate stout?

Yeah, i hear you on the price. My local beer store was selling 6-packs for $6.99 last year...I shoulda stocked up big time but i didn't. Now like $8-10 for a four pack?? Not cool.

Black ops is really good. The oak aging on the black chocolate stout really takes some of the rough edges off. Definitely not worth the $20 they charge for it though.

I was pretty disappointed that they raised the price of the black chocolate stout this year.

How much did they raise it?

This was my first year trying it, and I found it for $7.99 for a four-pack (which I thought was a pretty good deal).

I've read other threads that the case price of Brooklyn BCS did not change from last year to this year. So if a 4-pack in your store is the same or more than a 6-pack from last year, then shop around. Your store is screwing you.

I've read other threads that the case price of Brooklyn BCS did not change from last year to this year. So if a 4-pack in your store is the same or more than a 6-pack from last year, then shop around. Your store is screwing you.

I have the problem of not living near any store that carries it and working in NYC, where the mark-up is insane. Whole Foods is charging over $9 for the 4-pack. Last year the same vendors had it at just under $2 per bottle for the 6-pack.

This might give me an excuse to go back to brooklyn. I used to live in brooklyn moved to staten island, now in Jersey. I always wanted to take a tour of the brewery, prefect gift to myself for xmas :)

This might give me an excuse to go back to brooklyn. I used to live in brooklyn moved to staten island, now in Jersey. I always wanted to take a tour of the brewery, prefect gift to myself for xmas :)

I've wanted to do that as well.

On a related note (to this thread), I realized last night that I have 3 bottles of 2009 black chocolate stout in my cooler. Looks like I need to buy some 2010 and save some of that as well. Will do a vertical tasting in 2011...

Back