Milwaukee explosion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was thinking the same thing on Pumbaa. That explosion looked huge. I haven't been down in that valley in 10+ years. I figured a lot of it was vacant factories but guess not.

I work about 2 miles away. The shock wave sounded crazy, you could feel our building move.

I talked to a friend that worked at Falk and he said it blew out windows and knocked him to the ground.

The local botanic gardens, The Domes, are about 6 blocks away and it blew out one of their plate glass windows in the lobby. Six blocks away!! Crazy.

(Edit: Interesting note I didn't know about Falk Manufacturing: They started out as a brewery in the 1800's)

Dude said:
Dude are you back in AZ?

Yep, just got back today. I tossed out that offer to watch the Pack this past Sunday in some thread & didn't see a response so figured you were busy at work. Probably should have PM'ed you...

Milwaukee is getting weird...

Possible body on tower

Milwaukee police and firefighters are on the scene at the CBS tower at N. 53rd St. and N. Green Bay Ave. on a report of a body hanging there, but it was not immediately clear if it a person or a mannequin, Milwaukee Police said this morning.

Police said a CBS employee who works on the tower was climbing it to make that determination.

Police and the Fire Department's heavy rescue team were called to the scene around 9:30 a.m.

This story will update as more information becomes available.

I would have been at that run if I wouldnt have been laid up with my knee >.< I'm hyper pissed I missed it. I guess the shock wave blew out windows for up to alf a mile of the factory to the south and south east and it knocked snow off my sisters roof who lives about 45 blocks south of there. Imagine what damage would have happened if it wasnt down in the vally and the hills around the valley ate up most of the shock wave.

The first engine on scene actually self dispatched and were on scene in less then 3 minues 30 seconds. It went to a 4 alarm incident (about 125 firefighters) and they called in every paramedic rig (12) in the city as well as 30+ private ambulances, not to mention out Heavy Urban Rescue Team (HURT), and out HAZMAT team (which is also the regional HAZMAT response).

I didnt hear anything where I live but I think thats because I was to the SW of the explosion and the wind was blowing to the SE. Between the wind and the valley I think the shoxck wave was pretty much disipated by the time it got by me.

So far just the 3 dead, 4 were taken to Freodhert Memorial Luthern Hospital (our Level 1 trauma center) by Fire Department paramedic rigs for concussion injuries. IIRC 3 of those 4 have been released and the 4th is still still in the ICU with crtical injuries.

I watched most of the action while I waiting for my wifes oil to be changed and while I waited for my MRI . . . I was sooooooooo pissed. The Company said they are going to rebuild and that all the emploees will continue to get paid, but I dont know how long they will get paid. FALK has had a great record here and have been in the city since about 1850 IIRC. The last major incident was in the early 70's when there was an explosion or something in thier forge.

As for my MRI results I was hoping to ge them Friday but no luck, I should hear something Monday (I freeking better). For the most part the knee feels a little better most of the time but I am still having a hard time getting around. I can put some wieght on it now but even the slightest little movement in the wrong direction lets me know it's still ****ed up. The swlling has gone down a bit but by the evenings it's still just as swollen as ever and I still have the 2 spots that are very tender to the touch.

As for Milwaukee getting wierd IMHO we are just over due. It's been a long time since anything big has happened or since we have had a mass casulity thing with the fire department. The last major event was when Big Blue at county Stadium fell, the fast fireman to die because of the job was back in 1995, and up until 2 years ago when they started making all the staffing cuts our civilian fire deaths were exceptionally low for a city our size http://www.city.milwaukee.gov/FatalFires14533.htm . (ignore the 2006 listing, it'c cant be up to date, it's too low IIRC) The last major loss of life due to a fire was back in about 90 when we lost a family of 12 on Christmas morning or close to it.

Latest posts

Back