Tequiza Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
Finally going to try some Agave and lime in a brew:

6 gallon batch

4.00lbs Wheat Malt
6.00lbs Pils Two-row
1.00lbs Flaked Wheat
1.00lbs Flaked Rice

0.70lbs Agave Syrup (added at flameout)

.5oz Magnum @ 60
.5oz Hallertau @ 5

Lime Zest soaked in vodka added at kegging.

Would it be best to leave out the Hallertau?

I've not used agave syrup in brewing before, but isn't it a simple sugar that will be completely fermentable?

I've not used agave syrup in brewing before, but isn't it a simple sugar that will be completely fermentable?

Yeah, I just considered it corn syrup for the calculations. I should get a little agave taste and aroma after the sugar is fermented.

This is only conjecture - but I suspect any flavor and aroma will be obliterated by the boil and during fermentation. I wonder if using a tequila flavoring would be more appropriate for injecting some flavor than agave syrup.

This is only conjecture - but I suspect any flavor and aroma will be obliterated by the boil and during fermentation. I wonder if using a tequila flavoring would be more appropriate for injecting some flavor than agave syrup.

Or just some tequila...

OK, the Tequiza clone has been in the keg long enough to carb now, so I had a little taste last night.

It needs to age, but is pretty good now. The lime comes through nice and clear, but there is really no detectable agave flavor. I guess the yeast ate it all, that stuff seems to have more fermentables than corn syrup.

Back