"Seduction" - Double Chocolate Strawberry Cream Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wreck99

Wrecked Brewery
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sort of a spin-off from the Deception Cream Stout on here by NCBeernut. A friend of mine wanted me to try and make something like a Young's Double Chocolate Stout but add more cream and strawberries. I liked what NCBeernut had as a base for this idea, and this is what I brewed up a couple of weeks ago. Will let you know the results.

All-Grain (assuming 75% efficiency):

6.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.50 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt 60L
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Lactose (Boil 10 min)

0.50 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) - Weird split on Magnum I know, but
0.30 oz Magnum [3.10 %] (60 min) - just because it's what I had on hand

1.00 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10 min)
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10 min)
5 oz Cocoa Nibs (Dry-hopped in secondary)
2 oz Strawberry Extract (Secondary)
2 oz Strawberry Extract (Bottling)

Mash 60 min @ 152

Ferment 3 weeks @ 68F
Secondary 2-3 weeks @ 68F

Yeah i apparently did. Not sure where it came from but thats how it was labeled. Either way, its now in bottles just waiting for it to carb up. Ill report back soon.

should you soak the cocoa nibs in alcohol for a while before adding to the secondary? or can you just throw them in like they are?

chumpsteak said:
You had 3.10% AA Magnum?

I somehow get the feeling it's missing a 1 on the front. That or he got the bottom cones of the plant in the shadiest part of the plot.

why 2oz of strawberry flavoring in the secondary and then 2 at bottling? why not just all 4oz at bottling? is there a difference?

Sorry for the late reply guys, its been pretty hectic and I haven't had much time to do anything with brewing lately. I plan to start up again soon. As for this brew, it is AWESOME!! I actually ended up leaving it in the secondary for a month, and in bottles for 3 weeks before trying I believe. It's been a big hit in the house. Beer reviews have been: Lots of chocolate up front, then the strawberry comes riding in at the end. It's delicious and is a very smooth stout!

Just an update. Hasn't changed much past the couple months between fermentation and bottle conditioning. Everyone loves it and I'm starting to run low. It's a great dessert beer :)

I'm recommending secondary for a month with the cocoa nibs dry hopped style, and bottles for at least 2 weeks (3 if you can wait). This one is well worth the wait. Be patient for it.

Herky21: There's no need for more cocoa nibs. I did 5 oz, and you get lots of chocolate upfront.

Wreck99 said:
Great to hear! Let me know what you think. This one turned out to be a huge hit!

I think the initial runnings was great....I did add some cocoa powder in the mash to bring out some more chocolate aromas

Yeast is doing it thing went with 1275 see what that does..

Also used Phoenix hops...

Just cracked my first bottle at 2 weeks....great dessert beer

Nice mix of chocolate and strawberry aromas and flavors...I will say strawberry extract is super strong and has more of a candy like flavor which is what I prefer...can't wait to see how this ages out

Just cracked my first bottle at 2 weeks....great dessert beer

Nice mix of chocolate and strawberry aromas and flavors...I will say strawberry extract is super strong and has more of a candy like flavor which is what I prefer...can't wait to see how this ages out

I've purposely held onto a few that are now 6 months old in bottles. The strawberry definately is faded now. Still very chocolately and rich. Makes a great dessert beer like you say.

Just put this one in the primary today. First AG batch, and I am thinking it's going to be a great one! Thanks for the recipe. I'll let you know how it turned out for me.

this is killing me... when i piut the recipe in beersmith... it comes out at 4.7% is that right

I've had Beersmith estimate low attenuation fairly regularly, so check to see what its estimated FG is. That said, the Lactose and caramel malts should push the FG towards 1.020 or so, maybe a wee bit higher.

Back