Adding Hops to boil - In the wort or in a bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skipstr21

Reaction score
What is the recommended method of adding hops to the wort during the boil - directly into the wort or into a muslin/boiling bag and then into the wort?

I add them directly to the wort. Some don't (and use a hop bag) but I have a keggle and a spigot that leaves most of the hops behind in the keggle.

There no reason the hops can't be in your carboy, just more sediment when you transfer. Even back in the ol'e extract small kettle days I only used a hop bag once, and it broke.

Either way will work.

Thanks. Thats how I 've always done it as well but I've recently seen people use hop bags. It seems the hops would have less of an effect if confined to the bag.

I dont bother with a hop bag when using pellet hops but with leaf hops I've learned, for me, its a necessity. In recipes that used 4 oz or more of leaf hops I was losing up to a gallon of wort from saturation. Now I just lift up the bag, and give it a nice wringing out, and would only lose a couple of ounces of wort.

I think this one is personal choice. I used to never use a hop sack, but got tired of the trub getting stuck in my auto siphon. Lately I have been using a hop sack, and am pleased with the results. Like Beeropolis said, makes it nice with whole hops. But, I like the way it works with the pellets as well. I haven't noticed a perceptable change in bitterness.

When I am going to drain directly from the kettle to the primary through the ball valve I will use bags. When I rack out of the kettle I just through them in there and not worry about it.

I am kinda new to homebrewing, I have made about 5 batches of beer using the Brewer's Best Kits and one issue I keep having is during the boil the hops spend a lot of time not in the wort. They ride the boiling bubbles onto the side of the kettle and I keep pushing them back down.
1. Is this normal?
2. If I were to use a hop bag would it lessen their flavor (I like hop flavor...a lot!)
3. Thoughts?

Thanks All.

I agree that there is no correct way. Having said that, I use bags because they reduce the chance of a stuck transfer and lower the sediment in carboy. If you ever consider a plate chiller, you will want to transfer the clearest wort possible (to prevent clogging it).

I think there is nothing wrong with a 'muddy' wort, but a clear wort lends itself to simple transfers, which speeds up the day, which leads to less cursing, and more happyness. So I put hops in a bag.

Before I got my plate chiller, I just threw in pellet hops but have used a bag to prevent as little sediment as possible.

I throw them in but consider how much you are using...the more you use (especially with pellets) the more you could get a clog

Back