The taste of "Green" Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Palmetto33

Reaction score
This is my first brew. Anyway, when I was transferring it to a secondary I took a sample for a reading and a quick taste. First of all the H. reading was .002 higher than the stated 1.012 TG.

And more importantly, I thought that it had a bit of a sour taste to it (it did smell pretty good though).

Now, I realize that it hasn't been carbonated yet, but how normal is this? Could it also be due to the fact that it hasn't completely finished fermenting?

This is a Brown ale made from extract.

I was thinking of taking out enough to fill 1 bottle to carbonate and try out before secondary was over with in order to know beforehand whether it was spoiled or not. Any ideas on this?

Maybe I'm just thinking too much. eh?

Yeah, this is 'normal' for young beer. Have patience. Don't move to secondary until the beer is DONE. secondary is just to clear the beer, not to finish fermenting.

some people don't even do a secondary.

Let it ride.

um...

Already transferred it to a secondary. You think there's enough yeast still in there to finish fermenting in the next couple of weeks? Or, am I stuck with the 1.014?

Either way I won't touch it till I bottle. Thanks for the assurance.

.002 is not a big deal let it sit in the secondary a couple weeks and then bottle it.

Alright, appreciate it.

Will have a (commercial) beer and forget about it for a couple of weeks.

Cheers

Drank the beer but didn't completely forget about it.

Q1. What is the most likely cause of the specific gravity being off?

I would assume it's due to the fact that it wasn't aerated thoroughly enough. I only swirled the bucket around a couple of times before adding the yeast.

Q2. What is the best (extra equipment free) method of aeration for future brews? Is shaking the wort for a few minutes prior to yeast addition sufficient?

Thanks

Q1: Could be any one of a million things.... .002 could even just be the margin of error for you reading the hydro.... Either way, don't worry about it, .002 is such a small discrepancy

Q: Shake the **** out of the primary before you pitch your yeast.

Back