Firing up ferm chamber 1st time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cposten

Reaction score
Just finally mounted my new ferm chamber but was wondering if I should fire it up straight (about 70F ambient temp right now) or should I throw a bunch of ice in to help it cool. Added about 3-4 times area so don't want to burn out the mini fridge comp. thanks.

Fire it up straight? add ice? soooo confused. you running a temp control unit, or just adding ice to a fridge, need more info...pics are worth a 1000 words...

Sorry about that. Am a but excited about the whole situation. It's basically an extension of the fridge. I'm trying to cool it down to about 40F. Did add a bucket full of ice water in hopes to bring the ambient temp down so that the compressor isn't running all night long. Like I said not sure if I'm doing this right. A but green behind the ears.

image-3557595545.jpg

Did you rig up an external temp controller and if you did, where is the sensor? Or are you using the refrigerator as-is? If the latter, and the chamber is really well insulated, I'd doubt it would run continuously all night - unless you keep opening the door :). I would think that by using the refrigerator's thermometer, it will sense that it's gotten cool enough early and shut off. Then as the heat-redistributes it will kick back on. I don't know what the overall effect will be on the compressor since afterall it is having to cool a larger area.

I think I can see what ya got going on, ya added a box with foam to a mini fridge correct? I think the key to your set up would be to add some fans, just wire up some computer fans to circulate the air movement and I think you will be okay...

The casing of the fridge itself is getting warm, not hot.

That's pretty normal as it is basically extracting heat. That heat has to go somewhere. Better make sure it's not being vented back into the chamber. I think some refrigerators vent from the floor.

Have a stc-1000 wired up, bypassed the fridge temp control.

Yes sir, you are correct sir. I do have a fan in there. May be hard to see but in the pic it is sitting in the fridge have it hanging from the "freezer" compartment.

Any pointers/criticism more than welcome.

Sorry if I'm being a goon here but I was less nervous when they handed me my new born son.

Once it reaches your desired temp, the compressor will run less often and cool off...Its just that first run out of the gate thats stressfull.. Just keep the doors closed, keep the fan running and ya should be fine..

I use a freezer with a johnson controller on mine, and the compressor runs maybe once every 4 hours..but when I put a new keg into my kegerator that bitc%^ runs every 30 min, and yes it heats up buts once it hits it desired temp she cools off and runs less often. Hopefully this gives ya some piece of mind.

She got down to about 53F with an outer air temp of 70F. It's been almost 24hrs. She has dipped to 10C but no where close to the 4C I was looking for. Is this because of insufficient insulation or maybe the fridge isn't capable of cooling this much? Only a ferm chamber so 50F is fine but would like to have the option of being able to lager in it too.

Cposten said:
She got down to about 53F with an outer air temp of 70F. It's been almost 24hrs. She has dipped to 10C but no where close to the 4C I was looking for. Is this because of insufficient insulation or maybe the fridge isn't capable of cooling this much? Only a ferm chamber so 50F is fine but would like to have the option of being able to lager in it too.

From your picture I couldn't tell if you the floor of your extension insulated. That is the critical part to insulate, as the cold sinks. Have you checked for gaps around the connection between the fridge and extension and the corner? Some "great stuff" or tape - that reflective tarp - should help.

There is foam insulation under the floor board. I used weather stripping and insulation caulk at the fridge/chamber meeting points. All foam is caulked in and door jambs are weather stripped and caulked. I only used 1" foam board, could that be detrimental?

Get a clip on fan at Wally World, about $11,& attach it blowing from the fridge section into the chamber. Low setting should be fine. Also get some sort of temp control.

govner1 said:
Get a clip on fan at Wally World, about $11,& attach it blowing from the fridge section into the chamber. Low setting should be fine. Also get some sort of temp control.

I have a stc-1000 wired up and a fan from Walmart in the fridge blowing. One I have is only 1 speed. Should I have it in the freezer compartment or in the fridge itself?

I clipped my to the bottom of the freezer compartment shelf. I'm getting much more efficient & consistent temps. Also, zero condensation in the bottom of the fridge.

Thanks all. It took a couple days and some Dan readjusting but she's working beautifully now.

Back