Proper lagering in corny kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugaboo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Did my first lagers this winter. Both have come out damn good. Was just wondering how people do the lagering period. I primaried my beers for 10 days until gravity was low enough and at same level for a couple days. Did Drest on first beer because it was lighter. Lowered temp gradually to 40 then transfered to cornies and began lagering at 35. My main concern was whether to put an airlock on the cornies or just seal it and let it go.

Will it over carbonate? These beers probably not but how about something that was aged for 5-6 months? I aged for a month for a pils and 8 weeks for my bock.

unless you fed the yeast a new sugar source the only carbonation you will achieve is from force carbing with co2. even if you did have fermentables in there still I wouldn't expect too much activity at those temps, maybe a gravity point or 2 at most.

i carb my beer while i lager with no negative side effects thus far - at the very least you want to make sure your lid is sealed well but there is no need to add an airlock.

I actually carbed the bock while lagering by accident and it tastes damn good. I was sealing it after transfer and was organizing my serving fridge and forgot to take the gas qd off it.
Wasn't sure if it just tasted good regardless of lagering not taking place or if the yeast was still going at it despite the co2 levels being high. Seems like it's fine as is. I'll be more careful with my ofest i have planned tho.

unless you fed the yeast a new sugar source the only carbonation you will achieve is from force carbing with co2. even if you did have fermentables in there still I wouldn't expect too much activity at those temps, maybe a gravity point or 2 at most.

i carb my beer while i lager with no negative side effects thus far - at the very least you want to make sure your lid is sealed well but there is no need to add an airlock.

When you carb during lagering, how do you deal with any yeast that has fallen out of suspension?

i don't get much more sediment in the keg from lagering than i normally would from an ale

i don't cold crash but i lower the temp after the d-rest 5-10deg per day and then let it sit for a few days at lagering temps before racking to the keg

1st pour or 2 may have sediment but that's it - if it was very bad I'd likely do a pressurized transfer to another keg but hasn't been an issue thus far

i don't get much more sediment in the keg from lagering than i normally would from an ale

i don't cold crash but i lower the temp after the d-rest 5-10deg per day and then let it sit for a few days at lagering temps before racking to the keg

1st pour or 2 may have sediment but that's it - if it was very bad I'd likely do a pressurized transfer to another keg but hasn't been an issue thus far

I'm assuming then that you put the gas on over the course of a number or days rather than the gas/shake method. What psi do you set it at?

I have a Helles Bock I have in a keg lagering and need to bottle some off for NHC, but wasn't sure exactly how I was going to do it.

i seal the corny lid with 30psi after purging out o2, then i set the gas at serving pressure based on lagering temps ~ 36° and 8-9psi as I recall

leave the corny alone in the keezer for 4-6 weeks and I just let my other beers on tap sit for a few minutes after pouring to compensate for the lower temps

Back