boiling point

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wormraper

Reaction score
ok, I'm thinking of doing my first partial mast so I'm gonna need to make sure my dial thermometer is calibrated correctly so I can hit those finicky mash temps

I live in Tucson AZ so my elevation is 2593 feet above sea level. according to my remembrance of temperature adjustments it's 1 degree for ever 540 feet of elevation change above sea level, meaning I put my thermometer in boiling water and calibrated it to read 206-207 degrees in boiling water. am I correct in my calibration technique??? I just wanna make sure I hit the mash range so I don't f=up my first partial mash

Boiling point changes, but temperature does not. I don't think you need to correct anything.

But if the boiling point is 206 degrees at his elevation, you will still calibrate the thermometer to 206 in boiling water, correct?

yeah, that's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure which is why I asked.

Yes. I'm sorry. I thought you were explaining a plan to OFFSET all of your measurements that you take while brewing.

Sorry for my confusion. I think you are correct.

Back