fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisbliss

Reaction score
I am getting ready to brew an ipa and want to ferment at 68f since the ferment will add about 5-7 degrees should I make the ambient temp around 62ish for the first 5 days ?? Any input on this is appreciated.

I normally set my ferm chamber temps at 58, the little sticker thermometer on the side of the carboy normally reads around 62 (depending on it accuracy) during fermentation.

I want to ferment at 68f , there is a 5-7f rise in heat due to fermentation. Should I set the chamber at 63f to compensate for the average rise of 5f ?
and onlly do this for the first 5 days or so or leave it that temp for the whold 2 weeks?

thanks -

M

Why are u so stuck on fermenting at 68. I personally like to keep my ales closer to the mid 60's. I tape my temp controller probe to the side of my bucket and set the temp to 62-63. Clean beer is the result. Are u wanting a few fruity esters? Just curious.

What beer style? Start in the mid 60's. Once we know the style you're brewing we can recommend a good finishing temp.

EDIT: Sorry, just noticed IPA....start it in the mid 60's and bring it up to 68 (fermentation temp) by the last 1/3 of fermentation.

I want to ferment at 68f , there is a 5-7f rise in heat due to fermentation. Should I set the chamber at 63f to compensate for the average rise of 5f ?
and onlly do this for the first 5 days or so or leave it that temp for the whold 2 weeks?

thanks -

M

Sounds like a good plan to me. What I like to do is keep it at ambient temp of 63 for the first five days and then let it get to room temp..... 68 for the last 9 days

I guess my biggest thing is compensating for the rise in temp from fermenting. So I guess I will set it at 62 then if it goes up 5 degrees or so I will still be at 67 68ish. Thanks for the input. I have a cheat freezer with a Johnson a419 by putting the probe on the side of the bucket will that be pretty close to the liquid temp inside the bucket?

Take a chunk of styrofoam and sandwich the temp probe between the carboy/bucket and the foam, taping it down. Change the offset value from 6 degrees to 2 degrees and you will help smooth out the fermentation temp jumps.

It's not as good as a thermowell but better than measuring ambient.

Just remember that if you finish and go back to ambient to increase the offset to 6 degrees again.

You'll be fine doing this. We usually tape a folded up section of paper towel against the probe, against the bucket. You may notice a degree, maybe two, difference, IF you were able to measure the liquid, but NO WAY you'd have 5 - 7 degrees. I don't even get that measuring ambient, depending on the space! I agree with fermenting low (62 - 63) and ramping up. It will dry out the beer and AVOID fruity esters, which are not typical to IPAs unless that's your thing.

Thanks actually last time I did a check my ambient was 45 and I had the probe in a jar of water setpoint 38 for a keg of course. And the jar water was like 36 Why such a big difference? Again thanks for the input on this. I have a starting point now just need to decide where to put the probe. Water jar, in the air or foam method. Do u think for fermentation it is OK to assume all is well using the ambient temp method? Thanks again not trying to over complicate just want to get it right with investment I have made.

Most probes state they shouldn't be submersed. I know people do it, but it may not be a good long-term solution, hence taping it to the outside of the bucket.

I drilled a hole in the top of a whitelabs yeast vial, filled with water and stuck my probe in there. Obviously wont' give you the temp of the fermenting wort but it accurately measures the temperature of liquid in the keezer.

I have a growler filled with star san that my probe goes into. It's been there for a year and works for me.

moviebrain said:
Take a chunk of styrofoam and sandwich the temp probe between the carboy/bucket and the foam, taping it down. Change the offset value from 6 degrees to 2 degrees and you will help smooth out the fermentation temp jumps.

It's not as good as a thermowell but better than measuring ambient.

Just remember that if you finish and go back to ambient to increase the offset to 6 degrees again.

Can u explain why going back to the 6 differential. I get the 2 different on zeroing it in on fermentation. but why have 6 degrees for ambient? Just a little confused. ;)

It's all about thermal mass. If the probe is swinging freely inside your chamber it'll warm up inside quicker than if it is making contact with a keg, carboy, or other liquid.

If you left it on a 2 degree differential and swinging free the compressor will kick on and off much more often than you want.

At a 6 degree differential, the serving kegs and bottles in your fridge should even out at whatever temp you've chosen, or a degree or two colder. I have my fridge set to 38, so at 38 it'll kick on and drop to 32/33, and slowly warm back up *ambient*, but the liquids stay much closer to 36-38F.

Back