A couple more newbie questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indian09

Reaction score
Just tried my first batch, and taste pretty good, a little fizzy and a little yeasty but i'm quite impressed with myself. Maybe needs more conditioning?

The first time that I used bottles, I soaked them in bleach water overnight scrubbed them and put them through a rinse/dry cycle in the dishwasher (no detergent). What i'm wondering is do I have to do this again or after each use can rinse and scrub them with a little soap detergent and water, and then rinse them with metabisulphite and let them dry and when it comes to bottling again just put them through a rinse/dry cycle again?

Thanks.

if it was me, i'd clean/sanitize prior to every bottling. no need to take a chance after all that hard work.
how much priming sugar or dme did you use to carbonate? and what style of brew is it?

I used 200g of priming sugar (dextrose) for a 23L kit. It was an Coopers IPA kit. I'm now thinking that this is probably too much?

hhhmmm? maybe go with 170 g next time. though, your 23 L kit is a tad over 6 US gallons, and we normaly use 3/4 cup priming sugar and i cup water water for 5 US gallons. maybe just cut back to 180 grams to make up for the difference?

Maybe you didn't wait til fermentation stopped before bottling? You have to wait til all the sugars are gone, otherwise you have no way of telling how much is left, and could end up with too much pressure in the bottles, and explosions. what a mess.

I waited 10 days, after there was no bubling activity to bottle. So it was in the primary for a total of 17 days. I did not use a secondary, I think I will use one the next time but since this was my first time I just followed the instructions that came with the kit, and used some advice garnered from here. The beer is really clear and there is little sediment in the bottles. They have been conditoning since Dec 19. I had no explosions. I have noticed a taste improvement (less yeasty) but the same fizziness. I really does not bother me much just a little weird I guess, and results in a whole lot of belching.

sounds good. when you pour one up, just do it nice and easy, and leave a little bit in the bottle to keep from pouring the sediment into the glass (you may already do this?). that'll help with the yeasty taste too.

enjoy the fruits of your labor!

Latest posts

Back