Adding wheels to The Brewhemoth conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
I was out at my local big box store and came across this Brute trash can dolly. $33, 250# capacity.

Got it home, and it looks practically made for it. The only thing I'm wondering about is if the point loads from the feet will be too much for the base. It's very heavy fiberglass with deep ribbing (hey now!) on the bottom, but I'm not sure. Is there a structural engineer in the house? ;)

brewhemothmobile1.jpg

brewhemothmobile2.jpg

-Joe

When filled I would worry about it being top heavy compared with the narrow base. I prefer a much larger platform for stability when filled with 15gal of wort.:mug:

Maybe attach the new base to a wider platform on coasters. The base you have looks like it could add some valuable stability.

Brew on

Thanks for the input gang. I think I'm going to go with something wider, especially since I need to cross a threshold with it. It is surprisingly stable with the 5 wheels, but I don't trust it.

-Joe

I'm not an engineer by any means, but couldn't you just throw a few 45lb bench press weights to distribute the weight and make it a little less top heavy? Either way, be careful when moving that thing around haha

I'm not an engineer by any means, but couldn't you just throw a few 45lb bench press weights to distribute the weight and make it a little less top heavy? Either way, be careful when moving that thing around haha

I think that would be pushing the limits of the carrying capacity to the extreme.

It has a 250 lb capacity, a few 45 lb weights would be adding 135lbs. Not counting the weight of the tank itself (which is substantial), when full that thing will have 120+ lbs of liquid in it.

I am often amused at all the responders (me included) who continue to speculate without waiting on the OPs response.

I guess another way of stating it is: "give us the test results!!"

Back