Fresh German Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WBC

Reaction score
I just tapped my 10 gallons of German Hefewizen. I thought that I certainly could do better than the bottled beers. I think that some of them are not very fresh tasting! I think a Hefe should be really fresh and light and refreshing on a hot summer day.

My recipe is simple and meets all these requirements.

WBC's 15 to 19 day 10 gallon batch of German Hefewizen

60% white wheat = 12 LBS
40% german Pilsner 2 row = 8 LBS
Mash 150-152F 1 hour
Batch sparge
2 oz Hallertauer 60 min
2 oz Hallertauer 15 min
2 vials White Labs WLP300 yeast in 2ea 6 gallon carboys

Ferment 10 to 14 days
Keg at 60F with CO2 at 23 LB for 4 days
Reset pressure and temp: 38F @ 12 LBS CO2 for 1 day
and enjoy.

OR

Set temp to 38F and 12 LB CO2 for 7 days.

Enjoy :mug:

WBC said:
My recipe is simple and meets all these requirements.

WBC's 15 to 19 day 10 gallon batch of German Hefewizen

60% white wheat = 12 LBS
40% german Pilsner 2 row = 8 LBS
Mash 150-152F 1 hour
Batch sparge
2 oz Hallertauer 60 min
2 oz Hallertauer 15 min
2 vials White Labs WLP300 yeast in 2ea 6 gallon carboys

Enjoy :mug:

Looks like a good traditional recipe. My question though, why didn't you make a huge starter out of one vial a week ahead of time instead of buying so many yeast vials. It would have saved you some major cash and brought down the price of the recipe...

I mash my Bavarian Hefeweizen for 90 minutes. I believe the Wheat malt takes longer to convert.

Jekster said:
Looks like a good traditional recipe. My question though, why didn't you make a huge starter out of one vial a week ahead of time instead of buying so many yeast vials. It would have saved you some major cash and brought down the price of the recipe...
Yeah no kidding, you just added $24 to that batch... Damn I could get a whole nother brew out of that.:drunk:

Having lived in Munich for 3 years I never once saw Weissbier served from a keg or tap. The bottles always had the perfect amount of yeast per serving and people were always careful to mix it up and pour it into the glass using the last half inch or so to shake around and suspend it. If your Weissbier doesn't taste right (too thin for instance) maybe it is due to the fact that you are using forced carbonation or maybe that you are drinking beer with only suspended yeast and not the extra hit of settled out yeast. Otherwise, maybe your fermentation temps were off?

How do they taste? A description might help us narrow it down.

EdWort said:
I mash my Bavarian Hefeweizen for 90 minutes. I believe the Wheat malt takes longer to convert.

I agree, you have to watch out with wheat. It seems that it varies from maltster to maltster. 90 minutes is usually my conversion time with wheat.

Fwiw, I always use the iodine test. Imho there is no reason not to.

Nostrildamus said:
Having lived in Munich for 3 years I never once saw Weissbier served from a keg or tap. The bottles always had the perfect amount of yeast per serving and people were always careful to mix it up and pour it into the glass using the last half inch or so to shake around and suspend it. If your Weissbier doesn't taste right (too thin for instance) maybe it is due to the fact that you are using forced carbonation or maybe that you are drinking beer with only suspended yeast and not the extra hit of settled out yeast. Otherwise, maybe your fermentation temps were off?

How do they taste? A description might help us narrow it down.

I visit Bavaria a couple times a year and have had plenty of Weissbier or Hefeweizens from tap.

Here's a pic from the Freising Spring Festival last year. Weihenstephaner Weissbier von fass.

FreisingFest2.jpg

I asked this Fraulein about the weissbier and she told me it tastes great. I believed her and had a few.:cross:

FreisingFest1.jpg

Do any of you who do longer mashes have problems keeping the mash temps in proper range for that long of a time? I don't have direct heat, and I wonder if my system would hold 152 for 90 minutes, or do you add hot water or do a decoction to hold the temps. Thanks - Dirk

Ob's vom Fass oder nicht ist wenn, das Bier ohne die richtige Enthalt Hefe bedient wird dann, schmeckt's nicht richtig, oder? Hat sie das Fass geschultet oder gibt's ein Mixgeraet im Fass oder so etwas? Stimmt es nicht dass, als das Fass bewegungslos steht denn, sinkt die Hefe an Boden des Fass. Im End-effekt, gibt es nicht mehr Hefe in letzte Halbe dann in erste?

Also, vielleicht ist das Problem mit dem Weissbier von WBC aenhlich, oder selbe ( besonders wenn, bloss eine Portion nicht richtig schmeckt).

Ob's vom Fass oder nicht ist wenn, das Bier ohne die richtige Enthalt Hefe bedient wird dann, schmeckt's nicht richtig, oder?

Kann sein, aber dieses bier schmeckt hervorragend.

Hat sie das Fass geschultet oder gibt's ein Mixgeraet im Fass oder so etwas?

Nein, sie hat dass einfach gegossen.

Stimmt es nicht dass, als das Fass bewegungslos steht denn, sinkt die Hefe an Boden des Fass.

Ja, stimmts, nach ein gewissne Zeit.

Im End-effekt, gibt es nicht mehr Hefe in letzte Halbe dann in erste?

Ja, aber es schmeckt trotzdem gut!

Es tut mir leid fuer meine schlechte Schreibung :)

Ja, stimmt es ist nicht wie flaschenbier aber ich hat weissbier von Fass vielemal.

Wir (der hausbrauer) konnen das Fass treten fur die Hefe zu ruhren.

Ich wohnte in Augsburg fur vier jahre und bei Bamberg fur funf. :D

Im coming on here for help with my German homework next semester.:p 4 years total of German between high school and college and I still can only read some of that. :eek:

Ryanh1801 said:
Im coming on here for help with my German homework next semester.:p 4 years total of German between high school and college and I still can only read some of that. :eek:

Kein Problem!

C'mon out to the Bee Cave Brewery on Nov. 3rd for Teach a Friend to Homebrew & Speak Deutsch Day. :D

EdWort said:
Kein Problem!

C'mon out to the Bee Cave Brewery on Nov. 3rd for Teach a Friend to Homebrew & Speak Deutsch Day. :D

I would like to, just not to sure how I would get my stuff there and back.

I planing on going to Germany the summer after im done with school. Im hoping it all works out, so many places I want to go there. Im sure my German would be better going there for a few weeks than it would from all my school.

Tops places I want to go are King Ludwig castle, eagles nest, some places on the Rhein, and of course all the beer places I can go to. There is a few more, but I can not think of them of the top of my head.

Nostrildamus said:
Ob's vom Fass oder nicht ist wenn, das Bier ohne die richtige Enthalt Hefe bedient wird dann, schmeckt's nicht richtig, oder? Hat sie das Fass geschultet oder gibt's ein Mixgeraet im Fass oder so etwas? Stimmt es nicht dass, als das Fass bewegungslos steht denn, sinkt die Hefe an Boden des Fass. Im End-effekt, gibt es nicht mehr Hefe in letzte Halbe dann in erste?

Also, vielleicht ist das Problem mit dem Weissbier von WBC aenhlich, oder selbe ( besonders wenn, bloss eine Portion nicht richtig schmeckt).

If the keg sits for a week or so Ill give it a bit of a swirl before pouring a beer.

Andecks (spelling) monastery and brewery is a good stop (at least it was 21 years ago when I went). The best is just stopping in small towns and drinking what the locals drink, which I have found is usually what the town brewery is making that time of year. In my experience, you might have two choices: the standard lager or the wheat beer made by brewery "x" which has been brewing since (insert medieval timestamp). Good stuff!

Chimone said:
If the keg sits for a week or so Ill give it a bit of a swirl before pouring a beer.

Nice, shoen, superb, spitzenklasse! Ein Hefe-lieber!

Hmmm, did we ever get to the bottom of the OP's problem??? Maybe try the above and see if it makes a difference to the taste of your Weissbier. It's possible you're missing the hearty goodness of the liquid bread.

Ryanh1801, be thankful I didn't write that in Bayerisch (Bavarian) I could have set you back a few years in your German Education.

Auf jed'n foi, "An Guad'n ois!" und "Hebt no oana Hoibe hoch!"

Dreisphraechig: Englisch, Deutsch und Boarisch.

Nostrildamus said:
Hmmm, did we ever get to the bottom of the OP's problem???

I don't think the OP has a problem. I'm pretty sure he was just sharing his recipe with us.

Thank you OP, where ever you are! :cross:

heres a little experiment I did last Tuesday. Lets hope it turns out as good as my others.

Großer Weizen

1.056 OG

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
50.0 5.00 lbs. Wheat Malt Germany 1.039 2
40.0 4.00 lbs. Pilsener Germany 1.038 2
10.0 1.00 lbs. Munich Malt(dark) America 1.033 20

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 oz. Perle Whole 7.10 14.1 60 min.
0.50 oz. Tettnanger Whole 4.10 1.6 10min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP380 Hefeweizen IV Ale

Chimone: have you used that yeast before? I was not that impressed by the flavor. I am going to use some that I washed for another go at a wheat to see if I can get a better result. Let us know what you come up with. -Dirk

Ryanh1801 said:
I would like to, just not to sure how I would get my stuff there and back.

If you want to do an extract batch, I have every thing you need to teach it. Just bring a bucket or a carboy to take it home in.

derogg said:
Chimone: have you used that yeast before? I was not that impressed by the flavor. I am going to use some that I washed for another go at a wheat to see if I can get a better result. Let us know what you come up with. -Dirk

I have, and like it much more than 300. As weird as it sounds, I do like the sulfur aroma that comes with it. And since Im not as much of a fan of the banana flavor, I like this strain much more.

I also am able to ferment at 66-68F

Jekster said:

Because we wanted Hefe pronto. I had no other source and needed to brew the same day. I know, I know it was expensive but good.:tank:

Back