Corn ale anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithjw24

Reaction score
Has anyone made a all grain corn ALE beer? I have a feeling if I brew a pale ale style and add corn into the mix it may taste alright but wont really have the effects Im looking for. I guess my question is what is the proper way to use corn in an all grain brew that isn't a coors water flavor beer? my gut instinct wants to formulate a recipe using corn as the base malt with some caramel malt I.D.K. crystal 40 to 60 with maybe carapils and or victory malt and oats but keep the O.S. gravity low like 1035-40 and hopp the s#*T out of it. Any thoughts????

Are you talking about a cream ale? It's pretty common. There's a ton of recipes on here. It's nothing special, just a really refreshing beer.

Here's some info on the style of beer.

The easiest way is to use flaked maize. The corn goes through a process where it is pregelatinized, and you just add it to the mash tun along with your grain.

The other way is to do what's called a cereal mash. You boil the corn with some diastic grain like 2 row until it becomes like porrige and the starch has converted, then you add it to the mash tun with your grain. If you're doing a cereal mash you can use almost any form of corn, folks use grits, masa, cornmeal, canned cream corn, corn on the cob, hominy, and even popped popcorn.

Here's a cream ale recipe made with popcorn

Popcorn Cream ALe

Around here the mountain folk malt their own corn so that they can mash it with 100% corn. They're not making beer though...

OK, I read that as corn HOLE beer. Eeeeewwww.

Need coffee now.

Zach: They ain't no mountains in the dang ATL... :p

Wow lots of good ideas, thanks for the replies. A friend of mine brought back a growlier from a brewery in Russian River area that was a corn based ale that was really hoppy and refreshing. We can't remember the name of the brewery, but would very much like to mimic that beer. Thanks for the help, I'll keep researching.

Another thought is i just looked into a miller light lager clone type and this guy is saying that with this amalayse enzym you gett a really low gravity and less of a corn taste because the enzyme eats at other sugars that the yeast dont finish with.check out the search under the recipes discussion forum.
I recently bought some and have way more than enough of flaked corn, so recently im trying to get ideas as ive used all my lager yeast also. thinking about trying it with some 6 row and nottingham.
Protein rest???

Ah, found it! It was called Monticello Reserve Ale (TJ home). Here is some info from the brewery:
Monticello Reserve Ale
February 01, 2011

Introducing Monticello’s new microbrew, just in time for Presidents’ Day!

Monticello Reserve Ale will be sold in 750ml bottles at Monticello and Starr Hill’s Tasting Room ONLY. It will be brewed and bottled locally by Starr Hill Brewery, in Crozet, Virginia, by Master Brewer Mark Thompson.

A revolution is brewing in the artisanal beer world, inspired by the taste of Thomas Jefferson and what was brewed historically at Monticello. The Thomas Jefferson Foundation, in collaboration with Starr Hill Brewery, announces the launch of Monticello Reserve Ale, the official beer of Monticello.
The public is invited to a free tasting to celebrate the launch of Monticello Reserve Ale, Presidents’ Day, Monday, February 21, 12 p.m.- 3 p.m.– in the Thomas Jefferson Visitor Center Museum Shop at Monticello. The launch will include the tapping of the first keg. Free tastings will be provided.

Monticello Reserve Ale is inspired by what was produced and consumed regularly at Monticello. It is made from a combination of wheat and corn, lightly hopped.
Brewing beer was an important plantation activity at Monticello. Beer, one of the “table liquors” served with meals, was a staple of the Jefferson household. Records go back to 1772, when Jefferson’s wife Martha oversaw the periodic brewing operations, producing 15 gallon casks of small beer – beer with low alcohol content – about every two weeks.

In 1815, Jefferson writes in a letter to Joseph Coppinger (himself a brewer):
“I am lately become a brewer for family use, having had the benefit of instruction to one of my people by an English brewer of the first order.”

Large-scale brewing began with the appearance of a British brewer detained in Albemarle County during the War of 1812. Captain Joseph Miller improved upon the quality and quantity of Monticello beer, introducing ale, stronger beer suited to storage. While at Monticello, Joseph Miller trained the enslaved Peter Hemings in the arts of malting and brewing. Hemings – a brother of Sally – carried on the brewing operations, making 100 gallons of ale every spring and fall.

Jefferson wrote in 1821 that he had “no receipt for brewing,” doubting “if the operations of malting and brewing could be successfully performed from a receipt.” Using ingredients grown on the Monticello plantation, Jefferson’s brews varied based on the grains that were available at any given time, including barley, and larger quantities of corn and wheat. At Monticello, about three-quarters of a pound of hops were used for every bushel of malt.

Ah, found it! It was called Monticello Reserve Ale (TJ home). Here is some info from the brewery:

I was at Starr Hill last week and sampled that one(my brother was visiting and we went brewery hopping). I love a lot of their brews, but I have to say that one in particular was pretty bad. I don't mind a little corn sweetness in a beer, but the flavor is somewhat overbearing in that one.
Incidentally, I have been planning on brewing an american farmhouse ale for some time with corn grits as about 15% of the fermentables. I started having second thoughts after trying the monticello reserve, but I already have the ingredients and figured what the hell. I'll at least experiment. I figure the grits may not impart such a flavor. Other ingredients are 6 row, toasted wheat berries, and toasted oats. I posted on it in this forum earlier. Brew day for it is tomorrow.

Germelli, are you from the area?

Ya, I hated the beer...thought they did it half ass. I talked to the brewmaster that day. I told him what I thought of it in a respectful manner, and he told me he agreed, but his aim was to make it more mass appealing. I just thought "You are brewing a beer for your taste room only and you try and make it appeal to the masses?"

I live in Nova when I am not at school, but my best friend went to UVA so we would visit each other frequently. I would always knock at least 2 growler fills of my card when I visited :D

Starr Hill and Legend are my favorite VA micros, and the small brewery down by me at VT was my favorite in VA until it closed a month or two ago :(

I made one that is 42% adjuncts
Came out great but I will use all corn adjuncts next time instead of using rice as well.

I would like to know just how much corn vs. barley we can use and still get complete conversion of starches.

Brewed one last weekend as an experiment.

52% Pils
35% Flaked Maize
10% Agave
3% Roasted Barley

OG 1.067

4oz of Malto-Dextrine
Hopped to 33 IBU with all Saaz
WLP001 @ 63 degrees

Calling it "Tesgüino Red",
but will it be any good?

Your guess is as good as mine.

I would like to know just how much corn vs. barley we can use and still get complete conversion of starches.
Depends on the grains you use.

I don't go below an average diastatic power of 40 Lintner.

example from above recipe:
58% Pils @ 110 Lintner
38% Maize @ 0 Lintner
4% Roasted Barley @ 0 Lintner

(110 x .58) + (0 x .38) + (0 x .04) = 63.8 average Lintner

note:
percentages of grain bill changed from above
because Agave is not mashed.

Back