toasted grain in Fat Tire clone recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shuie

Reaction score
I'm going to try one of the Fat Tire clone type recipes from the old posts on the forum. I've seen a few of them that mention using ~2lbs of 2-row, amber malt, Belgian malt, etc. in the mash.

Do you toast the grain and then run it through the mill? Is it toasted whole and then added to the mash? Or, do you crack the grain and then toast it? Is this part of the total base grain bill in the mash, or added additionally? TIA. I can't find this detail in any of the old posts.

This recipe is spot on, I have made maybe 10 iterations of this ale and use this as the base and it is SPOT ON for fat tire.

7.5# Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt
1.5# Weyermann Munich Type II
8 oz Weyermann Cara Hell (can sub C20)
6 oz Caramel 40
6 oz Caramel 80
6 oz Briess Victory
4 oz Crisp Pale Chocolate Malt
16 IBU Willamette at 60
1 oz Willamette at Flame Out
OG = 1.052
FG = 1.011
IBU = 16
Mash at 154
WLP001 or Pacman

I make a Fat Tire clone without a toasted malt that I think is very close. If you do toast you do the whole malted grain before milling. I use 350 F for 10 mins and cool overnight before milling. I have heard people waiting a week after toasting before milling but I have not had any problems and get a nice toasted flavor.

I've seen a few of them that mention using ~2lbs of TOASTED 2-row, amber malt, Belgian malt, etc. in the mash.

Do you toast the grain and then run it through the mill? Is it toasted whole and then added to the mash? Or, do you crack the grain and then toast it? Is this part of the total base grain bill in the mash, or added additionally? TIA. I can't find this detail in any of the old posts.

Fixed it. Sorry, the way I wrote that it was pretty hard to tell what I was asking.

Brew day tomorrow!

Just toasted 2lbs of 2-row @350 for ~12 minutes. I'll let it sit overnight and run it through the mill with the rest of the grain in the morning.

Thanks again for the help.

Latest posts

Back