American Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nothreat

Reaction score
I think I will brew a stout this weekend. I am trying to build a recipe from what I have in stock. I came up with this and was hoping for some feedback.
Do you think I will end up with a stuck sparge with the rye and wheat? I know it is a bit on the hoppy end, but I do like hops. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks

American Stout

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (G): 6.0
Total Grain (lb): 12.750
Total Hops (oz): 5.50
Original Gravity (OG): 1.054 (°P): 13.3
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014
Colour (SRM): 34.4 (EBC): 67.8
Bitterness (IBU): 37.9 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 75

Grain Bill
----------------
8.500 lb American 2-Row (66.67%)
2.500 lb Chocolate Rye (19.61%)
1.000 lb Wheat Malt (7.84%)
0.750 lb Crystal 20 (5.88%)

Hop Bill
----------------
1.0 oz Willamette Pellet (4.8% Alpha) @ 75 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
0.5 oz Willamette Pellet (4.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.1 oz/Gal)
1.0 oz Hallertau Aroma Pellet (3% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
1.0 oz First Gold Pellet (4.5% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
2.0 oz Hallertau Aroma Pellet (3% Alpha) @ 2 Minutes (Boil) (0.3 oz/Gal)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 150°F for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 68°F with Danstar Nottingham

I don't have AG experience, so I can't answer the sparge question, but this sure sounds tasty! The only thing I might do is save the last hop addition for dry hopping, but that's all personal preference.

I'd cut the chocolate rye down to a half pound and add a pound of roasted barley. I've never used chocolate rye, so I can't offer feedback there. Also, the hopping is interesting. I'd go with a more common citrus hop near the end. I prefer columbus in this style, but chinook, centennial, cascade all work well.

I love the style and try to brew my American stout a couple times a year. I've got a tried and true one in my recipes section, if you want to check it out. It scored a 38 last year.

Thanks for the feedback. I was a little worried about all the choc rye, so I think I will sub with some roasted barley. The recipe I base this on did use the roasted barley and it is probably the way to go. The hopping was more "what do I have that needs used" but I also have a 1/2# of chinook. I will try that instead. I appreciate your comments.

Back