False Bottom?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silkkpurse

Reaction score
has anyone ever tried this in lieu of a false bottom? i wonder how it affects the flow rate assuming of course that your grain bed is above those holes...

just curious...

The problem is that the liquid will run down and out the sides without flowing through the grain. It would work alright for batch sparging, assuming the holes are the right size.

assume that the holes only extend up 8-10" from the bottom of the pot instead of all the way to the top and the grain bed another 2" above the holes with 2" of liquid on top of the grain bed. the liquid won't "run down the sides" because it will be above the top of the grain bed.

You want the liquid to go through the whole grain bed for efficiency. I'm guessing the colander you're showing has holes on the bottom...you could line the sides with a bag or something then the wort would have to exit through the holes on the bottom.

Yes this is possible I have used to cheap stainless steel pots cut the bottom out of one and basically made a long strainer for my keggle works great

Back