aeration system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superman

Reaction score
My father in law is on oxygen, he says i can have a regulator and use all the tanks i want, it is pure oxygen which is ideal for aerating wort right? All I should need is some hose and a stainless airstone correct? My next question is how long and how hard should i aerate?

superman said:
My father in law is on oxygen, he says i can have a regulator and use all the tanks i want, it is pure oxygen which is ideal for aerating wort right? All I should need is some hose and a stainless airstone correct? My next question is how long and how hard should i aerate?

Yes, get it! Medical oxygen systems are not always easy to obtain.

Yes, tubing and an airstone should be all you need, unless you also want to add an inline HEPA filter, too. They are very cheap ($5 or so, I think), and probably worth the cheap insurance.

On this site, I have seen recommendations for aerating that range from 20 seconds to 4 minutes. I use a 45 second blast myself. Personally, I think what is most important is that you agitate/mix your worth the whole time to ensure that the oxygen gets mixed in well. I typically ferment in glass carboys, and I just sort of swirl the carboy around while oxygenating to mix everything in. I have always had great ferments using the O2 system (but not always true for other batches where I did not).

Back