Ever-changing flavors???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildGingerBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have looked around the site and have not found this question so if it's here, sorry!

It seems to me that the first few weeks I am drinking my beers they taste really good. Maybe the first 2.5 gal or so. Then the flavors start to change. The beer is not as good as it was. I usually put a case or so of each beer, in the fridge at a time. Could keeping them cold for long periods of time make the flavors change? Or could I just be tired of that particular beer after awhile? That seems more likely but I thought I'd ask. If it is the fridge thing, then I'll quit putting so many in at once.

:mug:

The beer will change over time. Hop flavor and aroma will fall out. Beer will oxidize over time. Yeast and proteins will clear up etc. Keeping beer cold will slow most of these except clarification.

Well it depends. Sometimes it could be your palate. You might perceive a change when really its something you ate that day or maybe your sinuses are stopped up or just cleared up.

Chilling at some point will slow the changes but will not halt all changes.

Back