Some questions about Yeast culture origins

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bibtm

Reaction score
I've read here and there that when making your own yeast culture, the place you actually get it from impacts the taste and aroma of the resulting brew such as flowery fields add a bit of sweetness to it whereas a city area gives a "nasty" taste. I have a few questions about that

1. I'm just curious if anyone has further input on this and if this really does take place. If so, what types of areas generate what types of effects and to what degree does it influence the brew in the end?

2. How does climate (weather and temperatures) affect the results?

3. Has anyone experimented by trying to create their desired "area," as in, maybe using a green house where you planted only sweet flowers with a controlled temperature or even an enclosed aquarium filled with fragrant plants or just concentrated scents?

Just bought all the equipment for making agar plates, so hopefully I will be able to try culturing 4-5 yeast samples from various locations, splitting up a batch and testing out this theory, I'll be sure to make a thread once I'm done

Back