hydrometer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phatuna

Reaction score
Hi all,
my 1st homebrew kit is in primary where it has been for just over a week. My homebrew kit instructions suggested taking hydrometer readings using a practice that I have not seen any discussion on and am wondering your opinion.

after pitching yeast, grab a sanitized cup and take an 8 to 10oz. sample of your brew. pour into hydrometer and take OG. after OG, pour contents of hydrometer into a clean beer bottle, insert paper towel into bottle mouth. place next to primary, after a week or whatever, begin taking hydrometer readings from the beer bottle instead of opening primary.

they state that the beer in the bottle will become contaminated but will not effect hydrometer readings.

any thoughts?

How can contamination not affect gravity readings? Bacteria and wild yeast all feed on sugars, which will change the gravity readings.

Throw those instructions away and spit on the person that gave them to you. :drunk:

It says to put yeast in BEFORE taking your OG reading???? Dont do that. I heard of the bottle thing but most just draw liquid and measure, and drink the sample. Maybe someone who uses the separate bottle can comment.

Back