Whirl Floc Timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

realestatecat

Reaction score
Ok, so I just brewed a Red Ale and I forgot to add the Whirl Floc. I just pitched the yeast and I was wondering if it's too late to add it into the primary?

I know it's usually not necessary to add, but I've been happy with the clarity that it gives me.

Thanks in advance!

Ok, so I just brewed a Red Ale and I forgot to add the Whirl Floc. I just pitched the yeast and I was wondering if it's too late to add it into the primary?

I know it's usually not necessary to add, but I've been happy with the clarity that it gives me.

Thanks in advance!

Whirlfloc needs to be boiled so that it can bind with the proteins. Wouldn't do much of anything now. :(

The company that makes it says the last five minutes of the boil.

I have heard 15 minutes, but once again, the company that makes it claims that will denature the Whirfloc.

The company that makes it says the last five minutes of the boil.

I have heard 15 minutes, but once again, the company that makes it claims that will denature the Whirfloc.

The packets the Whirlfloc as sold by LD Carlson say to add at 15 minutes....

:confused:

Kinda pointless now. Better off adding some finings later on (secondary).

He's right, I really didn't trust you thanks to your avatar, but with over 3500 posts, I was betting that at least a few of them were worth taking note of :p.

Seriously though, thanks for the tip...but....what are finings?

He's right, I really didn't trust you thanks to your avatar, but with over 3500 posts, I was betting that at least a few of them were worth taking note of :p.

Seriously though, thanks for the tip...but....what are finings?

Gelatin, isinglass, or some other sort of clearing agent added in secondary.

I've seen egg whites listed in an older wine book I have. :drunk:

Back