Dry hopping in secondary or in keg, differences?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakedawgs

Reaction score
I am taking beer to an event in the near future , it has been dry hopping for couple of days in secondary.

Is there any difference in dry hopping in secondary or putting the beer/hops in a keg and chilling/carbonating? Will it take up the hops slower while chilled and carbonated? I want to get as much aroma out of the hops as possible before the event.
Thanks
Lakedawgs

I got a tiny flake of hop stuck inside the popit of the keg and that caused every pour to be pure foam, so I don't know if using a bag would make dry hopping in a keg possible. I've left oak cubes in a keg, but never hops.

I know bags are common to use to keep the hops in suspension just above the dip tube. Just wondering of kegging and chilling will slow down the hop absorption.

According to a post I read on these forums by Yooper, lower temperatures will indeed cause the aroma absorption from the dry hops to take longer. I've never dry hopped in a keg, though lots of people do. Just be prepared for it to take weeks instead of a few days/one week.

I'll just leave it in the secondary. I want to get about 10-11 days of dry hopping in then keg and force carb.
THANKS

It does slow down when the beer is chilled. A week or two should be plenty though. I say do both secondary and Keg. I'm doing an IIPA based off Pliney the Elder. I did dry hops near the end of primary, 10 days in secondary at 50F and again in the keg at 35F. I plan to transfer to another keg after two weeks.

Hop oil extraction takes longer at low temperatures. I like a very short dry hop (I use pellets exclusively) of ~3 days because by then pretty much all of your hop oils are extracted and you're really just losing aroma at room temp (in my experience.

I have taken to dry-hopping in the keg, but not chilled or on gas. I use a bag with some fishing line to suspend the hops in the keg, hit it with enough CO2 to get the air out of the keg and leave it at room-temp for a week.

Basically it saves me from having to rack the beer twice.

keg hopping may fully extract slower, but you'll definitely tell the difference by the next day.

I dry hop in a kegs, i had tack welded a small SS bracket to the under side of my corny keg lid.

This way you don't have floss (or fishing line) coming out the o-ring (i have lost a whole Co2 tank doing this) all you have to do is put your hops (leaf or pellet) in a bag, and hang them with floss to the bracket and your good.

I also put a small SS something in the bag to make it sink, they float other wise.

i still transfer to another keg for serving. i would rather not have yeast sitting in the bottom of my kegs if i dont have to.

CR-

I dry hop in the keg only with whole hops. Pellets simply do not work, I tried it a million different ways. Pellets dissolve in beer, dye it green and make it cloudy. You can literally taste the green grassy leafs in-between your teeth. Bags and other things simply don't help.
No such problems with whole hops: simply throw some hops in a big nylon bag and let them float on the top. Whole hops in the keg work great.

Back