Best Burner for 5 gallons brews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomebrewNate

Reaction score
I have read several posts regarding burner recommendations in an attempt to answer this quesion, though most of these have centered around efficiency when conducting 10-12 (and higher) gallon boils. For a small time home brewer like myself, who's wife will not allow me to brew any larger than a 5 gallon batch, it seems like some of the issues discussed, though always important, may not be quite as affecting.

I am looking to move my brewing outdoors (ok, I am being forced outdoors) and am currently shopping for a good burner. Can anyone provide insight or recommendations for a good propane burner, keeping in mind that it will always be for a 3-5 gallon batch. Also to note: I am willing to spend the extra money if it is necessary, but would prefer to keep costs low.

Nate

Hi Nate,

There are many many burner options, some super cheap and not stable while others are $$$ and stainless.

I have used a burner like this CLICK for a few years with good results and the price isn't bad either.

If you have amazon prime it can be yours for less than $50 shipped to your door.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another vote for the SQ-14. It's sturdy, quiet, fuel efficient and gets the job done. I'd recommend grabbing a roll of aluminum flashing for a windscreen and a couple cinder blocks if you're planning to use gravity to transfer to a fermenter (it's sits too low without them).

If homebrewing is something that you're going to continue doing for years to come I would purchase a Blichmann burner. They run about $150 and an extra $40 if you get the legs, but they're worth penny. I mostly brewed 5 gallon batches when I started with a turkey fryer/pot combo. It worked fine but was restricted to using the pot that came with it. Traditional turkey fryer burners create uneven distribution of heat and a lot of energy is lost through the flames. They also create an uneven and hard to control boil. The Blichmann burner directs the propane evenly and efficiently. I find that I use less propane with my Blichmann and it heats my water and wort quicker than a traditional burner. It also performs better in the wind and works extremely well with 10 gallon batches. If you plan on doing 10 gallon batches in the future the Blichmann is a must.

Hi Nate,

There are many many burner options, some super cheap and not stable while others are $$$ and stainless.

I have used a burner like this CLICK for a few years with good results and the price isn't bad either.

If you have amazon prime it can be yours for less than $50 shipped to your door.

Thanks guys for the advice... this SQ14 burner is actually one that I had not looked at before but I like it. It looks like the burner on this model is wider than a traditional turkey burner, which is something that I was looking for...as I agree that the smaller turkey burner may not spread the heat evenly enough. Has anyone had any scorching or heat displacement issues with this model?

And I agree that the Blichman is top notch, but unfortunately I just cannot spend that amount of money right now (though I totally understand the justification of buying one and probably will in time)

SQ14 is plenty for 5 gallons. +1. Don't waste money. Never any scorching either. I use a Bayou KAB6 which has the same burner as the Blichman and I had to cut it and re weld it because the burner sat 6 inches under the brew pot and was horrible until modified, although great now, my SQ14 was great right out of the Home Depot Box.

sq-14 is only rated at 54,000btu, but its puts out some HEAT.
with a 5 gallon batch and 10 gallon pot, most of the time its not running full bore.

SQ14 is plenty for 5 gallons. +1. Don't waste money. Never any scorching either. I use a Bayou KAB6 which has the same burner as the Blichman and I had to cut it and re weld it because the burner sat 6 inches under the brew pot and was horrible until modified, although great now, my SQ14 was great right out of the Home Depot Box.

Not trying to steal the thread but I have a quick question for bandt9299 - I have a KAB6 also and I agree that it is way to high... How much did you lower it? I'm about to cut an re-weld mine in the next day or so and wasn't exactly sure how much space I should have between the burner and the keggle.

Thanks,

-Ray

+1 on the SQ14

I had a turkey fryer set-up for a while. Like others have said, it was hard to modulate the heat at lower settings. After about 7 or 8 batches the thermocouple took a dive and rendered the unit useless. So for my $60 I have a cheapo aluminum kettle and a dead burner. (Not so good)

I ordered the SQ14 from Amazon and have never looked back. Big, wide stance and very even and controllable heat. I don't know anything about the higher end units out there, and I can believe that they are probably great. But I doubt I'll ever get beyond 5 gallon batches and for a 5 gallon batch this burner is just the ticket in my book.

My vote 100% is for the Bayou Classic Double Propane Burner (model) DB250. It is very cost effective, easy to operate, and as a plus, it gets your wort to a boil VERY quickly. I always do two 5 gallon batches side by side, so I can have both of them boiling at the same time. But you could also use one side of the burner as a HLT or other purpose (btw - you don't have to have both sides fired up if you don't need to).

You can pick one up on Amazon for under $100. The plus side for me also, is that both burners run off of one propane tank. So I always have a backup tank ready when the first one runs out. Mine came with extension legs, but I don't use them. I got a pretty cheap bayou classic paddle (3 ft long I think) so I don't have to break my back bending over, and the burner probably is more stable that way (I had read some reviewers say it's a bit wobbly with the extension legs). Definitely check them out. Seemed a lot cheaper than some other brands a lot of brewers use, I'm not disappointed with the quality at all, and I couldn't ask for a faster way to bring wort to a boil. :)

Thanks guys! I'm actually pretty surprised with the overwhelming support of the SQ14, given the many different views that are typical in any given topic. Needless to say you all have made my decision easy! I think this model is the way to go.

I too appreciate the information here. Looks like the SQ14 is the way to go for 5 gallon batches.

First post here too I think! Hi!

Hey,
Just reading through the threads on burners as I'm working towards going all grain myself. I wanted to ask the folks with the SQ14 how many 5-gallon batches you might get from a typical 20 pound propane tank. I'm currently brewing on my propane range (17k BTU, not quite enough for a full boil) but have never really considered how much propane I'm using. Does anyone have any idea how many 5-8 gallon 60-minute boils they can get from a tank?

Thanks,
John

Edit: Nevermind, I came across an answer of 5-6 batches here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/bayou-classic-sq14-395699/index2.html#post5001542

Hi Nate,

I have the stainless version of that burner, and I find it works just fine for 5 gallon batches. I went with the stainless because it sits outside all the time, and I figured it would last longer if it wasn't rusted.

I do three gallon batches & couldn't be happier w/ my Blichmann burner w/ leg extensions. It can heat 6-7 gallons from cold to mash temp in 20-25 minutes plus it is QUIET! Also very efficient propane wise.
I know it is more expensive but definitely worth the investment.

govner1 said:
I do three gallon batches & couldn't be happier w/ my Blichmann burner w/ leg extensions. It can heat 6-7 gallons from cold to mash temp in 20-25 minutes plus it is QUIET! Also very efficient propane wise.
I know it is more expensive but definitely worth the investment.

No aluminum foil need with this burner.

This is a great burner. I have used mine for both 5 & 10 gallon batches. The leg extension are good if you have an immersion chiller and will be draining directly to your primary vessel (gravity is your friend). Fuel efficacy is good. You can turn it down low for a nice rolling boil. I typically brew10 gallon batches and have been getting about three batches on a five lb tank of lp. I boil from 60 to 80 min.

It is worth the investment.

Cheers!

I have used a Bayou Classic SP50 burner which is similar to the SQ14 but is a bit taller. I am 6'3" so I appreciate not having to stoop to stir my kettle (which is a 44qt Bayou Classic stainless that I am very happy with). The taller burner is a nice option tho. Cheers! :mug:

Back