JB Weld or JB Stik on burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e lo

Reaction score
I picked up a keg tonight (legally!) from which to make a keggle. Unfortunately, I bought it sight unseen, and discovered afterwards that it doesn't sit stably on my turkey fryer burner. I want to add some angle iron tabs to my burner so that I can have a stable setup. I don't relish the idea of spilling 10 gallons of boiling wort on my feet...

Unfortunately, I don't have the foggiest idea how to weld. I do have a couple of tubes of JB Weld lying around, though. Has anybody else used JB Weld (or JB Stik) for a similar application? It's rated up to 500 degrees, which should be well above what anything at the outermost edge of a propane banjo burner would see, right? I've only used it in low temp applications, so I don't know what it can take.

Yuri_Rage said:
No, no, no, no, no!

Please do not support up to 200 lbs of boiling liquid with nothing more than epoxied tabs!

How about bolting them on instead?
Ditto. :D

After an hour of boiling, the supports on my propane burner are dull red, and I promise you that is way above the temp that epoxy resins like JB are crispy critters. I would find a welder to add some extensions. That's what I did, I found some 3/8" square rod stock and had it welded on top of the pot supports on my burner. I'd post a picture but I'm incapable of that.

Don't use the epoxy you will regret it.

Fair enough. I've not tested the shear strength of JB-stick, but have seen it hold up very well in tensile and compression applications. But better safe than sorry, and as I said, I've only tried low-temp applications. I was hoping for glowing (so to speak) recommendations for this application.

Bolting will require drilling through my burner, but I have to buy a step bit to drill my keg anyway, so that shouldn't be a concern. Good practice with the bit, too. As for welding it, unfortunately, I don't know any welders in the area. Any one have any ideas how much it might cost to get 4 tabs tacked on if I just call one randomly from the phone book?

I'd do it for a sixer...... unfortunately it'd cost ya 20 bucks in gas just to get here:)

Actually I'd do it for free, but that still doesn't help ya much:(

Thanks for the info, guys, and for the offer, shafferpilot. Although these days, it might cost me more than $20, and I drive a Focus! I'll go ask the guys at the world's greatest locally owned hardware store to recommend somebody. They've never steered me wrong yet.

I've personally seen jb weld on a set of headers on a hot rod, down by the collector, practically burst into flames. Heat not so good

Bobby_M said:
I've seen some people lay a BBQ grill grate on top of the burner stand to add some area to it.

That's not a bad idea. I've also got an extra wire shelf from my keg fridge conversion I hadn't yet found a use for. Will try it out tonight.

shafferpilot said:
Use some bailing wire to secure it to the stand.

Another good idea. Keep 'em coming!

I need to find some way to incorporate some duct tape, too. ;)

Back